Updating the look of the front grille

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Peter_2100, Jun 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Peter_2100

Peter_2100 New Member

Hi all,

I am just to receive my 2020 model Kona EV. After my initial test drive I was really pleased with the car and only noted a few smaller points for potential improvements.
    The front grille with the bubble design abandoned in the current 2022 version looks strange to me. Has anyone managed to update the overall look of the front or the bubble parts for a more smooth and simple appearance?

I cannot seem to find any aftermarket replacements achieving this.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Other than the front license plate which cover 64 of them, no one has posted a mod to cover the other 214 .:D
    They do however a good job of hiding front rock chip dings.
    This mod also helps protect the radiator from those same rocks, and adds a little improvement cosmetically.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  4. Peter_2100

Peter_2100 New Member

Thanks, electriceddy, much appreciated. At least I am not the only one with a dimple issue :) I hope someone will eventually come of with a solution to this.

5. I wonder if anyone has tried to fit the 2022 grill on an earlier model. IIRC it is just a botox facelift that may be a direct replacement. It might be worth talking to the Hyundai body shop guys, I doubt the parts or sales would know.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Thought about that, and it would look awesome. The major problem of course (including relocation of the guide slot, back molding etc) would be the charge port door itself not fitting as it is longer, also protrudes 3" further. The new actuator location seem to be a bit lower as well. Would require a new charge port assembly which would add substantial cost.:(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    EVatLast likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Oops, somehow I missed the whole discussion "2022 facelift".
    Didn't think it would be easy or cheap, but anything is doable if you throw enough $$ at it. I guess it depends on much you hate the original look.

9. Rezistor

Rezistor New Member

I’ve been considering wrapping the front with carbon fiber-patterned vinyl in a grille shape.
    My 2020 Kona is white but has a black roof, which made the car really hot on sunny days here in central CA. So I did a DIY roof wrap with white vinyl a month ago, and it’s made a huge difference in keeping the car cooler on sunny days.
    I’m thinking carbon fiber would contrast well with the white nose, and I could cut the edges to get a sort of hourglass shape, like a Lexus grille. The big unknown is how well it will bridge over the divots. But it’s only about $20 worth of vinyl, so why not?

Peter_2100 and electriceddy like this.
  10. Once you get your car back, it would be nice to see a photo of the updated front end. I think this would be the first one done that way (at least on this forum):)

Peter_2100 likes this.
  11. Rezistor

Rezistor New Member

I did it!!!

I got some “7D” carbon fiber gloss vinyl wrap from eBay and some knifeless tape and made my faux grill. I’m pretty pleased with the results. The vinyl was thick and stretchy enough to span over the divots but I ended up having to squeeze the air out from under each one as I smoothed out the wrap, so it took a while.

I’m less pleased with the wrap job I did on the rear hatch strip (edges are sloppy) so I might redo that if I have enough leftover vinyl.

In the photos you can also see the white vinyl over the black-painted roof and a bit of my rear-window treatment.

I think that will be my last wrap project for a while.

Attached Files:

Vince08, Peter_2100, apu and 2 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Looks good! Another advantage being if rocks or debris chip the plastic front the black wrap will help cover that up;)

14. Wow!! The grille looks excellent. Well done! I cannot see your "imperfections" on the rear hatch. Both sharpen up the look and I think your white roof looks better than the black would have done.

I have the smooth front and had a clear vinyl wrap applied for stone protection.

15. Peter_2100

Peter_2100 New Member

Nice work, well done!
    Any thoughts on the possibility to use the vinyl to make the surface smooth, i.e. hide the dimples? Maybe you would need to stick some clay-like material in the dimples before covering the surface with the vinyl, or?
    I do not have much experience working with vinyl so I am not sure how you would go about such a design update.

16. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Be careful making it look like smooth plastic. The early tesla model S looked bad as a result of a big bit of smooth plastic on the front. Looks cheap.
    I'm lucky I guess, I love the look of the old model. Change it too much and you loose its resale value and the ability to say its all original.
    Each to their own of course, so have fun and its always interesting to see others mods.

17. Rezistor

Rezistor New Member

When I was planning the project I thought I might fill the dimples with clay. I decided against it, mainly to save a (big) step, but also several other reasons. I had doubts about my ability to get a smooth surface that I’d be happy with. I wasn’t confident that the vinyl would adhere to the clay, and was worried that any trapped air would result in bubbles forming under the vinyl. Lastly, I wanted it to be removable so that when I eventually sell the car it won’t harm the value - the vinyl peels off easily without damaging the paint, and I didn’t know if the clay would.

So, I just worked with the dimples. There is still a little air trapped in each, but I pushed enough out to create a vacuum that keeps the vinyl sucked in. The vinyl is quite stretchy and tough, and forms a good seal. If the air heats up and expands a bit, there isn’t a risk of a bubble forming. Not really my original goal, but the dimples are much less noticeable now, and I think it even looks a bit intentional, like the various textured grilles on ICE cars.