Unsold 2021 ID.4s

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by SCSMike, Jun 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SCSMike

SCSMike New Member

Just recently decided to go electric for my next car, & the ID.4 is on my short list. However, the only ones in my price range (sub $50K) are brand new, unsold, 2021 model year examples. With new car supplies being so tight, it seems strange that there would be any prior model year holdovers for what I assume would be a popular car. Is there a problem that I should be aware of? I'm in the Houston area.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like the 2022 model was ever released in the USA market. So the 2021 cars appear to be new ones coming from Germany. They where probably missing parts at the time they where built an set on the manufacture's lot until the part arrived.

The 2023 model is scheduled to start production in Tennessee soon. So if you order an ID4, there's a good chance that will be the one you will get.

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of 2022 that have been imported - the story is that they were held in port for a software update, and are just now being released to dealers.

5. SCSMike

SCSMike New Member

Thanks for the info. This is one of the cars I'm considering: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1d431185-fe64-473b-8f86-8f3343145e1c/

I've had gas powered VWs in the past, & they're nice but sometimes problematic. Wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of big problem with 2021 models that would cause some of them to remain unsold in this market.

Considering that this '21 model is nearly $50k, would I do better to wait until those '22s start hitting the lots?

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The thing that keeps them unsold are the dealer markups. Basically the deal is that if you reserve a car and purchase, for the most part you can buy at MSRP. If someone reserves and cancels, the dealer can add whatever markup they think they can get away with. Some still sell close to MSRP, others add a substantial markup, or add unwanted "options".

But the 2021s that you are seeing are almost all going to be cars that someone reserved and then the reservation was cancelled. The last 2021s that were delivered were only imported a few months ago - I can't put my finger on a date however. The 2022s are probably going to be relatively rare - 2023 from Chattanooga will likely appear in the fall sometime.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

There are 2022 models in some areas of Texas that you may be able to have shipped to you. Go to Auto trader to see which dealers may have the 2022.

9. SCSMike

SCSMike New Member

Turns out that this is a demo they keep on hand for test drives, & they won't actually sell it. 4 to 6 months if you order a new one. Guess that's better than having to reserve a car without being able to test drive it.

10. Stb105

Stb105 New Member

Correct. I got an email about this yesterday in fact. Finally arrived in US -- waiting on software update. I reserved 12 months ago originally for a 2021....will end up with an elusive 2022.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. SueMC

SueMC New Member

I have the 2021 model that is now one year old. I love it, with the exception that it is in serious need of software updates. Dealer tells me that is coming in the next few months and will be the first update they have done, therefore a major one.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.