Unexpected Journey

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Clamps, Sep 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So last week Monday I took a trip from Boston area to NYC. No big deal really, the Kona could have made it there without even a stop for charging. The adventure was on the way back.

When I left on Monday the weather was very pleasant late summer type conditions. As I was arriving to the NYC area I thought it best to charge up so I wouldn't have to stress on my return trip. Found an EVgo DC fast charger at a hotel in a town called Rye just north of the city. When I garaged the car I had about 218 miles of range estimated left on the battery. The car then sat in the garage until Saturday afternoon.

I retrieved my car and was pleasantly surprised to see that I still had 218 miles left. I put my home in google maps (really am not fond of some of the routing or interface of the built in nav). The distance was listed at 217 miles, one less than the claimed range. I knew that I wouldn't get the 218 and had planned to stop along I90 once I reached Massachusetts. Figured I would have plenty of juice, maybe close to 100 miles.

As I started making my way home I noticed my range dropping faster than usual. I found this odd as traffic was not moving that fast 50-55 mph. There were hills, maybe elevation was having an impact. Then I noticed the temperature, it started dropping since I left, from brisk temps to downright cold. I still thought I had plenty of reserve to make it to the I90 corridor in MA, so I kept going.

As time went on temps really started to drop and I started getting range anxiety. I had not been running any HVAC, I didn't even have on my heated seats or wheel. The only accessory I had was the media player, I was listening to a podcast. That was it.

As my concern grew I decided to reduce my speed. I was in a 65mph zone now. First I dropped it to 60, and then 55. I was anxious enough now that I pulled over to a rest stop. Opened up PlugShare to take a look around. I knew I had about twenty miles to I90 but I wasn't sure where the service plaza was located with the charging station. I had somewhere around 65 miles of range left. It was troublesome because the range estimate was dropping close to 2 to 1 versus the actual distance. PlugShare showed me I was in a dead zone for stations. I didn't want to go back so I went forward, just twenty miles to the interchange and then the service plaza was a few miles east. My comfort grew, I think I can make this.

Yes! I arrived and thrilled that the station wasn't occupied as it only has one CCS cable. PlugShare also rated this stop a 10 with no history of problems. I rolled up and looked at my leftover range estimate, 34 miles, 14% of battery left. Not too bad. The next service plaza was 36 miles away. Probably some more chargers off the interstate but this was convenient.

I charged for 45 minutes and for the 70 miles remainder of my ride home I went 65mph with the heat running, seat and steering wheel warmer cooking while playing some of my favorite music.

Learned a good lesson about the Kona and cooler temps. The car is great but cold weather requires more or at least better planning.

TomN and Esprit1st like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Good points made. The Guess-O-Meter can predict your range based on what you've *been* doing. It doesn't know the weather this afternoon, where you are going, or how fast you need to get there. Most crucially in my case, it doesn't know I just put a roof box on the rack. :)

Clamps likes this.
  4. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Nice story to share. We have had similar occurrences. Our current GOM says over 300 miles (4.7 miles/Kwh) on a 100% charge but I know it is only a guess. We know that going up hill, temperatures about 45F and freeway speeds, we have got as low as 2.8 miles/Kwh. This equates to only 179 miles range. When we travel distances we try to use "abetterrouteplanner.com/" and compensate for temp. It has to become a new normal when driven EVs. I hope many read your account and take it to heart.

eastpole and Clamps like this.
  5. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Thanks for sharing that. FYI for future reference the Auburn Mall in Auburn MA is just off I-90 with lots of charge stations. Google Maps shows 143 miles from Rye via I-95 - I-84 - I90. Starbucks nearby.

Clamps likes this.
  6. But it will find out soon enough...!

eastpole and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks for the suggestion, Rye was where I charged up before parking the car for a week on 89th Street in Manhattan. Not sure I would’ve made it to the station you recommended that night as that is 164 miles. I used the EVGo stop at the Charlton service plaza on east bound I90.

9. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Ah, that explains it. Another note, the MassDOT website doesn't show a charger at Charlton, just Lee and Natick for EB I-90. It would be helpful as they install stations they would update their web information.

10. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I just use PlugShare, it always seems to have the most up to date info.

Clamps likes this.