Two parts: Fast DC chargers and battery capacity loss

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Oct 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

One mitigation of battery aging is the continued growth of the fast DC charging network both numbers and speed. The addition of the Ozark AR and Lowell AR SuperChargers closed the gap I once filled from +2 hour, L2, 30 A, charge sessions. Then the Joplin MO SuperCharger was relocated and upgraded to V3, 250 kW peak.

These changes closed the gap to my Mom's home in Coffeyville KS. A full charge in Joplin means arrival in Coffeyville with 66% SOC and the ability to return, to Joplin MO. It is the combination of battery health and a denser, faster DC, network that keeps our cars operational.

My EV has a peak charge rate of 170 kW that it holds for a few minutes even on a 250 kW charger. But most Tesla SuperChargers still have a maximum of 150 kW and even lower, 75 kW, if multiple cars are charging at the 6-8 lane stations. Regardless, this is an order of magnitude faster than the 7.2 kW, maximum L2 charge rate.

So my EV has about ~5.7% loss of capacity, 52 kWh from 55 kWh. But happily, the increased density and speed of the fast DC charging network has compensated for this expected loss.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.