Trouble charging at ChargePoint DC

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Dominica81, Jun 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dominica81

Dominica81 Member

Hey all, we are on yet another road trip with our 2019 Niro. This time we started in Chattanooga, drove to Hilton head South Carolina, and now are headed back to Colorado. We typically charge at Electrify America stations because they are so reliable and plentiful. We had to make a stop in Metter, Georgia due to a ChargePoint charger not working at a previous town. When we arrived in Metter we were met with one brand new CCS ChargePoint charger among many Tesla chargers. A woman had just unplugged when we arrived so we felt grateful since we were really running low on battery. Unfortunately upon plugging in the car would not connect to the charger. We tried several times and even called customer service, to no avail. Plugged into a level two for 20 minutes and barely made it to the next charger which was also a ChargePoint. Thankfully it worked great. Haven’t had any problems until today in St. Louis. I am at a two-kiosk charger and it took me several times to connect. It kept saying to plug-in and when I did it would say not charging or it just wouldn’t connect at all. I’m wondering if there is a Kia bug. Has anyone had any issues?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TandM

TandM Active Member

Were you trying to use the ChargePoint app or your RFID card to initiate the session? I usually find their units to be some of the most reliable and have even gone out of my way to use ChargePoint versus other brands.

On the flipside, Electrify America is a problem child for me. I have can only remember 1 session with our Niro that didn't result in me calling them and many sessions have resulted in multiple calls. I had such a poor experience last time that after multiple calls the rep comped the fee.

4. Dominica81

Dominica81 Member

I’ve been using the app. I actually don’t have a card but should get one I guess. Electrify America has been reliable but probably because there are multiple chargers to try. :p

5. 2-Dog Niro

2-Dog Niro New Member

I'm also driving a 2019 Niro EV, with about 22,000 miles on it. I've used lots of fast chargers on cross county trips. I've been having the same problem with a relatively new Chargepoint CCS DCFC in Greenfield, MA. I've used the station more than a dozen times successfully, but about 6 weeks ago it started failing to connect when I plugged in. The app says that others have been charging at the same station recently, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the unit. I called customer service but they were unable to help. I have tried using the app, using the RFID card, resetting the station by flipping the breaker off and back on to reboot the unit, and nothing works. I don't have access to another DCFC nearby, so I haven't verified that there isn't a problem with my car's handshake. No problem charging with Chargepoint Level 2 chargers, just the DCFC. Very suspicious.

6. Shawn X

Shawn X New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I used several different Chargepoint chargers during my trip to and from Portland, OR. Of the ones that were not marked out of order, they mostly worked fine. I think there was one time where the RFID just did not work and I ended up activating it in the app. There was another one on my last stop before home that kept glitching returning an odd error. I attempted several times to get it working and then after one glitch, it just suddenly started charging.

That charging stop shows as 0miles 0h 1m in my Charging Activity list, though I was hooked in for a good 45 minutes or more and went from about 10% to 80%. I chalk it up to a software glitch either in the unit or maybe on their server.

9. 2-Dog Niro

2-Dog Niro New Member

UPDATE: I went back to the ChargePoint DCFC and this time the charger connected after the handshake and I was able to charge my Niro. I have done nothing to my vehicle, so I assume that ChargePoint fixed whatever software issue that previously keeping the charging from initiating.