Training for performance cars?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark Richards, Sep 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

We keep hearing Kyle talk about not wanting the general public to have access to FSD without training.

I'm thinking that drivers of these ultra fats cars (say anything under 4 seconds 0-60) should have to go through a safety class. They simply aren't safe to operate at those speeds on public roads, much less by untrained people.

I'm definitely not suggesting we need the government to get involved, instead I'd like to see the manufacturers only unlock that power for owners who meet some requirement.

Am I overstepping?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Richard Hammond crash:
    [​IMG]
    Richard Hammond the driver crashed and burned a borrowed, million dollar car:

Bob Wilson

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Well, I think Richard Hammond knows how to drive better than most.

Not that your point is incorrect, but he is basically a professional driver

5. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

That actually makes my point. Even a professional is dangerous in these ultra high performance cars

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Perhaps a new mode, "Street Calm".

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I was at an EV event this evening, where I pointed out several times how the Kona, with 200 hp on tap
    in a generic single-motor setup, is at the *low* end of EV performance these days. Almost everything
    else except the Bolt is more powerful. And how I use less than a quarter of that any given day, because
    I really don't need to go 0 -60 in three seconds, or even eight, or whatever. Most of us don't. Those of
    us who soaked deeply in the "Prius era" can appreciate that: bring the ICE into its BSFC sweet spot,
    and *wait* for the results. It made us not only more efficient drivers, but also safer and more aware
    drivers, because we were planning way ahead and taking everything in front of us and behind us
    into account.

Gentle takeoffs through intersections have saved my butt on numerous occasions. Maybe it's fun
    to have all that low-end grunt at a standstill, sure, but it *will* get you in trouble someday.

_H*

John Lumsden likes this.
  9. Well, as they say, power is just a crutch for low skill drivers.

hobbit and John Lumsden like this.
  10. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

The Kona is lower performance compared to most EV's thanks to being based on shared ICE platform and being FWD does not help. Considering the base 2022 ICE Kona in Canada starts at $21299 , you can not justify $43699 for 2022 Kona Electric Preferred or $49199 for Kona Ultimate electric.

While the 2022 BMW 4 Series coupe ICE is starting from $53650 compared to 2022 BMW i4 Gran electric coupe starting from $54990 ( Canadian prices )

Other good option at $49995 is the VW ID4 AWD designed as EV.

Maybe in 2019 the Kona electric was good option but now with the BMW i4 Gran Coupe, VW ID4, Ford Mach-E as well Audi Q4 etron , Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 there is lot more choices now.

Dan

11. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Why? There's no reason for this. People can already go too fast in any car anyways.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

I've always looked at it through the lens of my race car. If I can spin the drive wheels at top speed at the end of the longest straight, I have enough power. Otherwise, more power, so long as it's smoothly generated, more better.

Gene 2020 Honda Clarity
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app