Traction Control Settings

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Jun 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The MINI SE handles so nicely normally one doesn't have to change any traction settings, but when I went to research the various modes I found this handy explanation: Mini Cooper Traction Control Settings and What They Mean.

To summarize, there are three settings:
    • DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) – On by default; is good for maintaining maximum stability adjusting power and using braking.
    • DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) – Push down on the traction control switch; provides maximum driving force in all conditions and is best in loose conditions like snow, sand, or loose gravel.
    • EDLC (Electronic Differential Lock Control) – Push down on traction control switch for three seconds; (mostly) turns off traction control, driver has full control except in extreme cornering or acceleration.

When you switch to DTC (by toggling the traction control switch), you will see the word TRACTION (and a message) on the digital dashboard, as well as a message on the center console.

IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3775.jpg

When you press and hold the traction control toggle for three seconds EDLC is activated and you'll see the words DSC OFF (and a message) on the digital dashboard, as well as a message on the center console.

IMG_3777.jpg IMG_3778.jpg

Finally, hitting the traction control toggle again will restore the default DSC traction control. If either the TRACTION or DSC OFF message are on the digital dashboard, it will clear. No message appears on the center console.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Great report! I found that flooring the accelerator in deep snow (even with winter tires) had much less effect than I'm used to because the DSC keeps the front wheels from spinning. Flicking the switch to DTC made it a bit easier to accelerate. It was interesting when I'd hit a dry patch on the road while trying to accelerate and my SE would surge forward while the dry patch provided traction.

I haven't tried EDLC. I'm not averse to the car's electronic systems protecting me from myself.

MichaelC likes this.
  4. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

For those who have tried it, what really is the benefit of using EDLC? Does it change driving dynamics that much? Is there something that an experienced driver can do that can't be done using DSC? Do you feel like you have more control by being out of control? I don't have my MINI yet, so can't try it, but I'm just curious.

insightman likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I tried EDLC, the handling definitely feels different. It felt like the car was less stable when going around cloverleaf style curves or roundabouts, and I had to brake more to keep control. Maybe EDLC is what's needed for drifting or the Scandinavian flick?

6. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

Well, I don't think I can do a Scandinavian flick, though it would be fun to try in an empty, icy parking lot if I still lived in Canada. I'll try EDLC after I get my MINI just to see what it's like, but I doubt it'll serve any real purpose for me (or most people) since I don't really think I'll prefer instability over stability around a corner or roundabout. But that's just me.:)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

EDLC is my usual for autocross. Stability is still not completely off, just dialed back. I've had it cut power when I get far enough sideways. That isn't always a good a thing. It's definitely a lot more fun than normal mode.

Giosan likes this.
  9. That's what I use for autocross too. Have you found a way to get power around tight turns? I slow down before the turn and have to accelerate early, so that power will eventually come back on when I need it. Maybe something to do with the angle of the steering wheel?

10. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I haven't found any good driving or settings tricks. The rear bar helps with traction if not near the limit. Once one wheel is off the ground, there is no more traction improvement, it's done transferring weight to the outer rear tyre. As the car leans further and further, front weight distribution gets closer and closer to stock. There is some point where I still have some lateral g, but somewhat better forward traction. The bigbar needs a different technique, which I'm attempting to learn. It'd be nice if I could have a bar with easily adjustable stiffness over a very wide range.

Giosan likes this.