Tour of Plant Oxford - Brilliant !!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by FrankinCarp, Nov 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. In early October, I went on a tour of Plant Oxford. It was almost 3 hours of brilliance !!!!

Plant Oxford produces 3 models of the MINI - Countryman, 3 Door Hardtop and the 5 Door. You must also understand that these 3 models are produced in both left and right hand drive models for markets in the Americas as well as Europe.
    For the 3 Door Hardtop, both ICE and Battery Electric models are built on the same assembly line. There are approximately 800 people (per shift) working in Plant Oxford and a new MINI comes off the line every 67 seconds. Twelve hundred robots know what model is coming next and they will drop off one set of tools and pick up the required tools for the next vehicle when the next chassis arrives.
    There are 3 primary sections in Plant Oxford. The first section is essentially the frame and body with doors attached after which they go to paint.
    The first thing done after paint is to remove the doors to travel separately. (Doors will rejoin the bodies in the last 100 meters of the line). The painted frames proceed to final assembly wich includes installing wiring harnesses (and batteries), interiors and glass. Glass like windshields and entirely installed by robots that apply adhesives and place the glass in position - a rather remarkable dance. Engines (or in the case of the SE, electric motors).
    In the last part of the line, the doors are rejoined and rematched to the correct MINI and about the last things to be installed are the wheels just before they are driven off to storage.

If you plan to be in England, I highly reccomend the tour of Plant Oxford. Well worth the price! Just a real pity that cameras and cell phones must be locked up before the tour.

Lainey, Matt007b, GvilleGuy and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Were you able to actually watch any SE models being assembled?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Ah nice!

Had we but known, we could’ve had a whip-round and contracted you to return with a crate full of EU convex wing mirrors!

5. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

If sailing ships ever return, I will definitely go to Britain to see where my MINI was built.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That sounds awesome. But I thought the Countryman was built in Germany. Maybe it's the Clubman at Oxford? The Clubman is built somewhere...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Clubman is built in Oxford, yeah. Countryman used to be built in Austria, then the Netherlands, and now I'm not sure anymore.

9. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Just gonna leave this here...

Louis W and azausa like this.
  10. I only saw the hood scoop at 7:10; but when the guy picked it up at 1:15, there was still no hood scoop.

11. My error. The Clubman not Countryman is made at Plant Oxford.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. This is great footage. It is a little dated. Note the tail lights are islands in the rear quarter and the headlights are mounted in the hood.

Still gives a good appreciation of what the plant tour shows. The experience of seeing it first hand is remarkable and so much more impressive.

I only wish it would have been possible to see the paint plant section.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did you see the giant cosmoline tanks? At what stage do they pump the stuff in?

Qisl likes this.
  15. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

My wife and I went in 2016. We were the only two people on the tour that AM. I don’t remember seeing the paint process itself but we got to see the ostrich feather rolllers and the cars coming out of paint. The guide also took use throughout the little test track in factory and outside. You could definitely tell which parts were the original factory and which were new. The end of the line is in the old section

16. MrSnrub

The steel pressing plant in Swindon

Attached Files:

17. I did not (or don’t remember) seeing those tanks. I don’t know when the stuff is applied but I would think it would be after paint - and then carefully masked so as not to coat anything other than the undercarriage.

18. There are certainly repositioning cruises from the US that dock in Southampton. I sailed on a Royal Caribbean ship from Miami to Southampton a number of years ago.
    Most likely in the late spring/early summer.

19. MrSnrub

Yep my wife and I are scheduled on it this May. Are in our late 30s and worry about being harvested for organs given the avg on board age

FrankinCarp, revorg and Qisl like this.