Toggle switch for pedestrian sound

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by polyphonic, Jul 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Has anyone thought about adding a toggle for the pedestrian sound? My car has a blank spot where the autopark would be.

The thought behind this is just to turn it off on special occasions, when absolutely safe. I could easily pull the fuse, but would rather have it on most of the time.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

You can add a setting in the software to toggle the pedestrian warning on/off using BimmerCode super easily. The pedestrian warning does still come on in reverse but is off when going forward.

Total cost is more than a switch though with $40 for BimmerCode and $60 for the obd adapter but you can also change things like turning off the seatbelt warning noise, disabling the legal warning on the screen at startup, and making the car remember the last driving mode you were in!

Hutch, polyphonic and Lainey like this.
  4. Carsten Haase

20210701_164525.jpg

Texas22Step, Hutch and polyphonic like this.
  5. polyphonic

Wow! That's perfect. I see no reason to take it off for reverse anyway - that's when you could really get into trouble.

Thanks!!

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm probably the only one who would like the option to temporarily make the Acoustic Pedestrian Protection sound even louder in certain settings. I like showing off, well, sounding off, the electric nature of my MINI.

I would have been bummed if the 2022 SE looked more electric than my 2021 with its multiple Energetic Yellow highlights and custom-deleted bonnet scoop. For example, if an Energetic Yellow bumper had been an option:

upload_2021-7-1_22-10-47.png

heelsbigc and polyphonic like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

After several months of use I have found that the pedestrian warning sound does not seem to turn many heads when I'm in a parking lot. It either does not get noticed much, or people are used to cars sounding different!

Texas22Step and polyphonic like this.
  9. Carsten Haase

Because all the pedestrian warning sounds are different and sound nothing like an ICE car, I think most people don't realize it's the car making the noise. When I first got home in my car, my wife thought it was some weird music I was listening to!

Texas22Step, scooter and GvilleGuy like this.
  10. polyphonic

When people see the car plugged in, they inevitably do a double take. I have never seen anyone notice the car while in motion though.

Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  11. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

The AC compressor is louder than the ped warning

SameGuy and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

What's the best OBD reader to get? Almost any price is worth it just for remembering my last driving mode.

14. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

polyphonic likes this.
  15. Carsten Haase

Here's the list of supported adapters from BimmerCode: https://bimmercode.app/adapters/

I have the OBDLink LX which had some issues connecting but worked fine after updating the firmware. The OBDLink CX is specifically made for BimmerCode (whatever that means)

Texas22Step and Hutch like this.
  16. Carsten Haase

The settings available for the driving mode are under the "body domain controller" or BDC_BODY. There are two options:
    • Default driving mode: choice between sport, mid, green, and green+
    • Driving mode memory: choice between not active and always
    There does seem to be a small "bug" with the memory feature where the color of the ambient lighting ring around the display isn't remembered with the driving mode. I leave mine on sport but sometimes when I started my car, the lights would be on the Mid color. Toggling the driving mode manually does fix this, but my solution was to just change the lighting to always be sport since I never change the mode anyways :) The color of the UI is remembered correctly.

There's also settings for:
    • the number of wiper cycles after activating the sprayer
    • what lights turn on when you unlock the car (welcome lighting)
    • numerical temperature of the heated seats for the three settigns
    • headlight/foglight settings (can enable fog lights w/ high beams)
    • sensitivity of the rain sensor/ambient light sensor
    • startup screen animation (JCW, BMW, Bently...)
    • choice of warning chime noise
    • disable legal warning at startup
    • disable rear view camera warning (off by default I think)
    • disable seatbelt reminder on startup (initial seat belt reminder) @GvilleGuy
    • A bunch of others that may or may not apply to the SE...
    I have only tested the ones in bold above

The setting to enable the option to enable/disable the pedestrian warning is in the Mini section but the setting to remember your choice on next startup is under the i3 section (you tell BimmerCode what car you have on initial connection).

Texas22Step, GvilleGuy and polyphonic like this.
  17. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Thanks, it's time to fix a few things.

18. insightman

I wish Bimmercode could enable AM radio reception the way I read it can do in the BMW i3. However, I cannot find evidence that any 3rd-gen MINI Cooper radios have had AM tuners, so the snobbish omission is not limited to the SE.

Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  19. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

What are the things we should avoid doing in bimmercode? is there any harm we could cause?

HappyKafka likes this.
  20. insightman

Avoid the "reverse battery polarity" option :)

Texas22Step likes this.
  21. Carsten Haase

Things can definitely get screwed up but in general if you follow the apps instructions, make sure your phone is charged and the car stays on, and don't mess with advanced mode it seems pretty safe.

When you click on a module to change its settings, BimmerCode automatically creates a local backup before allowing any changes.
    I copied that backup from my phone to my cloud storage to make sure I can always revert back to stock. If something does go wrong, you can almost always fix it by just restoring the backup.

I would suggest changing only one thing at a time so if something weird happens you can immediately restore that backup. If you don't know what the setting does, maybe search online before changing it.

Texas22Step likes this.
  22. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

The manufacturer's (HQ in Phoenix USA) web page for the OBDLink CX says the product is "new" and is specifically focused on the BMW/MINI vehicles and BimmerCode. It also says it supports interface with both Apple and Android smart phones, but the LX doesn't seem to list IOS (Apple) compatibility. The LX appears to me to be best for people who want to work with it on a Windows device and/or with a broader range of vehicles than BMW/MINI/BIMMERCODE. Price is the same, both on the manufacturer's web site and on Amazon. I plan to give the CX a try and see how it works for me, but for others the LX may be a better choice.

23. polyphonic

Just got the VeePeak OBD connector mentioned in post #11.

I started by adding the pedestrian noise toggle to the interface. On my car this toggle deactivates the sound in both forward and reverse, for the duration of the drive only. Then it defaults to back on.
    This works great for me. I added a shortcut to the pedestrian sound screen.

Also turned off the initial seatbelt warning and driver seatbelt warning (I learned to wear my seatbelt when I was 5 and never looked back.. :) )

The car threw a bunch of warnings while it was coding the seatbelt changes, but they went away after restarting the car a couple times.

Cindy B and Carsten Haase like this.