Tire Warranty/Lifespan?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Rav, Feb 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rav

Rav Member

Does anyone have any info on the the warranty/lifespan of these tires?

I can't find anything on this in the owners manual. I took my Clarity in for routine service and the advisor told me I will be needing new tires soon. My car only has 17K miles!!!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

Had the same issue with my Odyssey. The OEM Michelin tires came with 0 warranty, except for defects. The exact same retail tire came with 5/75K warranty.

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I replaced two of my tires at 19k, so I feel your pain. I was able to buy a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S "take-offs" with essentially no miles on them for $60 ea on Ebay, so it didn't disturb me nearly as much as having to pay $200 ea for new tires. I do hope these last a little longer than the OEM, though.

5. Assuming that you’ve asking about the OEM, Michelin tires, they carry a 55,000 mile warranty. I’m not certain how Michelin would treat a claim on factory installed tires.

I’m almost due for a second tire rotation at 15K miles. The tires still look like new. I expect that they will last at least 40-50K miles.

DaleL likes this.
  6. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Wow! I wonder why such disparity between a guy whose tires were worn out at 19k and another guy whose tires were barely worn at 15k. Maybe driving habits or the condition of roads in one area compared to another?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Drag racing.

insightman likes this.
  9. Unknown. Some owners have replaced tires at 20K due to wear, some have reported 50% tread remaining after 40K.

10. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I'm at 34k miles and I need new ones. I drive mostly highway so I don't even know what to say.......

11. Robert_Alabama

As to my replacement at 19k, I drive a lot of short trips and lots of turns, so I'm betting some of that is the turning. I also do drive rather aggressively as compared to most, (but no drag racing). Also, the tires weren't quite down to the wear markers, but were close and were very evenly worn across the tire. I could have run them maybe another couple of thousand miles, but I already had the new ones and had time to change them out (and bought the new ones cheap).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KClark

KClark Active Member

Speaking of tires and having them changed, has anyone encountered confusion or other difficulties having the tires changed with the wheel baffles that are part of the clarity? I’m at 24,000 miles and my tires are still in pretty good shape but I’m thinking about when the day comes that they are changed. Are those baffles pretty common on other cars? Common enough that a local tire shop would have experience with them? I envision them saying oh sure no problem, even when they really don’t know what I’m talking about when I try to explain them. But that may just be my pessimism.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

One forum member had lots of trouble trying to get Costco to pay for wrecking those things. I avoided that problem by having my Honda dealer put winter tires on my original wheels before we took delivery (which happened during a big snow-storm in 2017) and bought the much, much less expensive Clarity accessory wheels for non-winter use.

15. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

KClark

Attached is a pdf and two pictures which may be of some help.

Clarity_rim_with_resonators1.jpg Clarity_rim_with_resonators2.jpg

Attached Files:

turtleturtle and Robert_Alabama like this.
  16. KClark

KClark Active Member

I'm in LA so no winter tires to deal with. And the thought of buying tires from a dealer, who wants to charge me $109 to change the cabin air filter, makes my head and my wallet ache. Newbie, thanks for that pdf, I have seen the user manual description and a few forum threads about these resonators but that pdf makes it clearer that regular tire changing practice still applies to them. My hesitation is with a tire guy just assuming he knows what I'm trying to explain when in reality he may never have seen one before. Luckily I have a mechanic I trust who also does tires so I have probably thought about this way too much.

17. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Buy a tire thread depth gauge and measure thread depth yourself. Many dealers, inspection stations and tire dealers are very dishonest. A tire depth gauge can be bought for $3 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Got a penny? Stick the penny in the tread and it you can see the top of Lincoln's head, it is time for new tires.

19. TomL

TomL Active Member

My experience is the same as Robert_Alabama except at 30,000 miles. I also had similar short durability on OEM tires on previous new Honda hybrid vehicles I have owned. I got a good deal on a cash price of $630 (including rebate) for a set of Continental Pure Contacts which I hoped would be better for winter driving. After three months and a Wisconsin winter, so far they have performed well. Because they are stickier tires than low rolling resistance options, I lost 5-10% on mileage range which was a trade off for better handling and braking on snow and ice.

20. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

I have heard (don’t know for sure if it’s true or not) that OEM tires installed on new cars have softer rubber that wears out faster. It’s also been said that if you buy the same tires they will actually be different.

21. We’ve seen photos in other posts recently that show the “same” tire, fits differently on the same rim. The tire protrudes out approximately 1/4” from the rim as opposed to being nearly flush, as is the case with the OEM tires. One of the tires that protrudes out has an earlier production date than the OEM tires. The others have later dates.

Someone will need to explain, real slow, how the same brand and model tire, for the same rim size, with the same width and aspect ratio will fit the same rim differently. After that they can explain how that same tire, with the same tread wear and traction rating would have a harder compound or be expected to deliver greater fuel economy or more miles before needing replacement. Real slow now.

22. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Are counterfeit tires a thing? Either that or it’s a massive quality control issue.

23. Robert_Alabama

Here's all I "know" so far. Definitely the Honda OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S are different to the retail sold ones (at least for model years 2018 and 2019). The retail sold Energy Saver A/S has a noticeable "Lip" to help protect the edge of the rim. The tread pattern for the two tires has very subtle differences (less groves cut on the inner part of the tread in the retail vs what is in the OEM). I have no knowledge of any difference in rubber/compounds used or potential difference in life or rolling resistance (fuel efficiency) between the two.