Tire recommendation with good range and better handling

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Phil_Meyers, Jul 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

I'm going to need new tires soon. Does anyone have a recommendation on a tire that will not hurt the range, is quiet, have good braking and handling in wet conditions? I don't care about snow performance. Also, I'd like tires that bulge out so not to get curb rash. Does such a tire exist?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I have no basis to make an informed recommendation, but if you search the forum for tire recommendations, you will find that this topic has come up more than once in the past.

I totally agree that the curb rash issue is very important. I will certainly be looking for that feature when it is time...

I recall a discussion here some time ago that indicated that the original OEM tires now have a bulge to protect from curb rash... It was unclear if Michelin made a change somewhere along the way, or if the car manufacturers got a different version of the same tire than what is sold on the streets. As such it was unclear how to insure you get the 'good' version if you went with the original Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires.

JFon101231 likes this.
  4. d99

d99 Member

My vehicle must have a magnet for nails. I had to replace two tires this year with the same Michelin tires as the originals. If the new tires have a bulge, it's not visible to me.

5. MrFixit

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    turtleturtle likes this.
  6. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I had recommended on several threads the Michelin Crossclimate 2 tire but there are better options if you don't care about snow. Just wanted to mention that I have noticed no difference in range from the OEM tires even though the CC2 tires are quieter, handles and stops better under all conditions. After seeing the following video, that makes sense. In this video, Alex on Autos changed his skinny green tires on his Mustang EV to sticky summer tires. Basically, he went from the most efficient to least efficient class of tires and made it even less efficient with lower profile wider tires. Even with that, his range dropped by only 3-4%.

Thus, I would go with a highly rated ultra high performance all season tire like the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. It performs great in dry and wet (and pretty good on snow too), far better than the OEM tires.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

I much prefer a good all-season tire over the energy saving ones. If I get lower mpg, so be it. It is too easy to screech the factory tires which worries me about its grip in an emergency situation. I'll probably get whatever is on sale at costco when the time comes.

9. I put these on last September and about 12,000 miles ago, and handling and road noise are not noticeably different from stock:

[​IMG]

Price was right. My EV mileage is down just a bit, now hovering in the mid 40’s, but some of that is likely from 3 years of battery degradation. Remains to be seen if they go the same 40,000 miles plus that my stock tires went.

10. Ed Oran

Ed Oran New Member

wow those tires are a bit spendy, do they come with the rim too lol? I’m sure they get great mileage! Speaking of Rims has anyone swapped out for something a little more ascetic?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. They're tires. They are what keeps me on the road. Wrong thing to try to save money on.

13. MrFixit

@Tek_Freek
    Just curious... The tire that you linked above is 10 mm wider than the OEM (and correspondingly, ever so slightly larger diameter).
    Is there a reason you did not stick with the original OEM size (235/45-18)?

14. Curb rash

15. MrFixit

Ah, I had assumed that most any tire that is the same size as the OEM would have the curb-rash ridge. There was even some chatter here that the original OEM tire / size now has the protective ridge (vs. what came from the factory).

Did you somehow determine that the Continentals would not protect the rim without stepping up a size?

16. Curb rash was just one reason. Ratings, larger diameter, etc factored in as well. I spent a week researching and this tire floated to the top. I originally had my mind set on run flats, but ratings knocked them out of the running. I really like these tires.

Keep in mind that tires are something I've never skimped on because of cost.

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I liked Honda's accessory rims for the Clarity. They cost much less than replacement OEM rims, but they don't have the anti-noise resonators found in the OEM rims. I can't detect any difference in the noise after moving the OEM tires to the accessory rims, but perhaps others can.

upload_2021-7-26_14-30-31.png

upload_2021-7-26_14-36-19.png