Tips, Tricks and Secrets?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by 1nickatnite1, Dec 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

Hey I'm a new owner and I tried searching to see if this topic was already posted but didn't see anything.

What are some surprising things you learned about your car that you can share with a new owner? It can be either some surprising buried setting, a creative way to use an existing feature or anything that comes to mind. TIA!

polyphonic likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Welcome to the forum!

Two things that my MA never mentioned which I find very useful:

Short press on the steering wheel mounted voice activation summons up MINI, long press for Siri,;)

Little switch behind the left side of the dash activates the clock (useful in the dark when in the ferry line-up ).

1nickatnite1 and SameGuy like this.
  4. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Recent thoughts in year 3 of ownership.

High regen is nice for certain situations like general daily driving, running errands, stop and go, while low regen is great in canyons or for areas with more open road.

It’s nice to spend time driving in Green / Mid / Sport modes. Basic as it is, the throttle differences change the feel of the power delivery in a way that my foot alone doesn’t seem to. Sometimes I want a traditional ICE power build, sometimes I like the instant shove. My passengers appreciate green + low regen, particularly because I am so used to driving the car hard when I’m the solo occupant.

Tires change the driving feel of the car considerably.

The onboard nav system is excellent. I have been using this over Google Maps recently. Voice commands are ultra quick and I love the ability to zoom in and out with the rotary dial. Also it displays the name of the current road.

USB for music starts right away. I tend to have middling luck with CarPlay even with new phones and updated software. It’s satisfying to just hop in and have music play instantly. CarPlay is always a button press away.

Not so recent thought: Bimmercode is amazing for tweaking (and unlocking) certain settings. Plenty of great threads on this.

1nickatnite1 likes this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    True, but if you are running a live instance of CarPlay, you don’t even need to push the button summon Siri. Just say, “Hey, Siri” as usual. :cool:

Rogwp likes this.
  6. SameGuy

YUL
    Two little stupidities: if you are going from forward to reverse or reverse to forward, you do not need to push the side button; and if you buckle up before getting underway, just put it in gear, and like most current cars with electric parking brakes, it will automatically release the parking brake when you hit the go pedal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 New Member

At the end of the left steering wheel stalk there are 2 little buttons. I think hitting the top buttons enables/disables auto hi-beams. The lower button toggles through multiple visual settings on the drivers display (battery %, miles/kWh, etc).

1nickatnite1 likes this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    If you can actually see it through the spokes of the steering wheel, you’ll notice it says “BC” on it. BC stands for “Bordcomputer,” which is German for “onboard computer” — an archaic term now that every car built is basically a rolling computer.

amtrucker22 and gosjsgdi like this.
  10. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Ignore the guessometer with the expected range. It is always far too cautious

SameGuy and 1nickatnite1 like this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

When using navigation, if you push down on the iDrive control (the control knob) the SE will repeat the next navigation direction, even if you have the directions muted.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Does anyone know of any straps, or has anyone made straps that hook into the seat back anchor points to help lifting the seat backs after unloading cargo?

teslarati97 likes this.
  14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Dog leash hook-thing-a-ma-jig.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol yeah. Was hoping for something more OE-looking. I’ll stop by the fancy pet store today and look for some purse dog leashes in Carbon Black Lounge Leather. :cool:

mikeg0305 and teslarati97 like this.
  16. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

love the second one. this is my first car with an electric parking brake so love knowing about this.

17. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

Placing the car in park turns off the EV noise if you are sitting in a drive thru line and get tired of hearing it.

The trunk floor can be raised and lowered. The Mini can haul a surprisingly large amount of stuff. My rule of thumb generally is if it fits in a Costco cart, it usually will fit in the Mini.

Turning the car off automatically puts it in park.

F14Scott, Rogwp, SameGuy and 2 others like this.
  18. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

When you're done driving and parked in your spot you can just hit the "OFF" toggle and the car will automatically go into park. Saves a button press on the shifter.

19. SameGuy

YUL
    I used BimmerCode to add a pedestrian sounds toggle to the My MINI displays, and then activated hot button #6 on it, so I can toggle the sounds on and off easily when I pull up to the border post window — I do not do drive-thru in my new car! — or when I back into my garage late at night.

20. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

I use these nylon loop straps on my Land Rover defender and they work great.

Attached Files:

SameGuy likes this.
  21. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah, I’d prefer something like that, but in black if possible.

22. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

You can find them at hardware store in various colors.

SameGuy likes this.
  23. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I did that too for when I was in a parade. Of course I just had a software update done and it's gone, so will re-add later (it's cold at the moment)

SameGuy likes this.