Thule & “Fit Kits”

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Obeymydog, Nov 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Obeymydog

Obeymydog New Member

So, I needed to get some cross bars and couldn’t find good information on fit. There seemed to be potential for issues between ice and EV Niro, and Thule sells for kits for every single model of car. I thought, well, if I get a second hand set of Thule blades, will the Niro kit actually work on my Niro EV.

I also suspected that the hundreds of fit kits was more.... semi-fake planned obsolescence than actual custom fit to a particular model. I mean, what are the chances that Kia uses more than a couple standard flush rails. Even for that matter, between Kia and Hyundai.

Luckily I found a great deal on some Thule edge aero blades that came with a Hyundai fit kit. And turns out, they work great on my Niro EV.

The pics attached are the 4029 Thule kit on the Niro EV flush rails. There’s a small gap on the inside bottom edge of the mount, but the rails are on tight, no movement as the tightening of the cross bars pulls the mounts inward.

IMG_1553.JPG IMG_1554.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's what I thought. We have an e niro and ICE Kona. I asked Thule if one fit kit would fit the other and got the standard, these are custom fit.

4. EVDog

EVDog Member