They are Phasing out the Kona EV... Hello Ioniq 5

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Pobre, Apr 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

I told you so? However, the Ioniq 5 is not a direct successor to the Kona, it is definitely a different price group, even in rich markets. And is much bigger.

3. Ya, I'm dubious that this halt in Korea means a complete stoppage worldwide. But if it does I've got to say it would be a loss.
    * I see several other articles specifically state that sales will continue outside of South Korea. Good.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Clamps likes this.
  4. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Exactly - production in the Czech Republic started just a year ago. Hyundai would lose a piece of the market, which is irrelevant to me, but it would be a pity to withdraw from the market such a successful model, which it has nothing to replace for now. It is interesting that Kia with eNiro and eSoul do not actually participate in the whole adventure, and they are technically the same cars as Kona. Well, unless they only use SK batteries.

5. In a North American context I believe the existence and success of the Kona is important because it maintains the presence of smaller sized vehicles in a market that is (unfortunately) moving more and more towards behemoths. It pains me to watch EVs follow the same path as ICE vehicles, sacrificing milage and efficiency gains in order to haul around a couple extra tons of empty space.

Lars, Clamps, Bill Carter and 3 others like this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

On the one hand, a behemoth EV is better than a behemoth gas-guzzler. On the other, I agree it can be frustrating when people buy what seems to be way more "car" than they need - but I can't be too quick to judge, because I don't know their circumstances. Heck, arguably the Kona is more car than I need...

And on the gripping hand, I see things like the Citroen AMI and, while I appreciate the reason it exists, makes me worry that the public image of electric transportation is at risk of lapsing back to "glorified golf carts."

Lars likes this.
  8. I drove a Colt, an Echo, a Yaris and a Fiat 500 prior to the Kona. It's already far larger than any of those but it's pretty much the smallest "long-range" EV that's fully modern and competitive. I'd need to add about $10,000 and almost a metre of length to buy another comparable EV. It's a segment of the market that is needed.

Rickker likes this.
  9. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Certainly, the market is looking forward to EV in the <25k $ segment, but with the current battery prices, it is simply not profitable to produce such vehicles, because they do not provide manufacturers with even a minimal profit, they would probably have to be completely devoid of expensive elements ensuring comfort and quality feeling. Only the mass production of solid electrolyte cells with a density of 400Wh / kg and a much lower price will allow the mass production of smaller EVs. At the same time, they will still not be really large volumes due to problems with access to the charging infrastructure. The electrification process takes a lot of time and a huge investment in infrastructure before it reaches a truly massive level.

10. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

The article indicates that this is limited to South Korea and that they will "continue to export Kona EVs to overseas markets"

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I would like to point out that this is not the official stand of Hyundai but a leak.

13. Don't know if this is true, but perhaps Hyundai's plan is to divert batteries meant for South Korean production to be used to replace batteries in North America and elsewhere? Seems this would be a big way to speed up availability of replacement batteries. Just a thought.

14. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Ioniq 5 is much nicer than the Kona electric, more modern

15. Meh, only more modern until the next hot pants design. Other than larger size, awd and vehicle to load options nothing here that says I gotta have over the Kona. The battery chemistry appears to be similar, the 800V battery architecture is pointless until there is sufficient related 800V DC charging infrastructure which may or may not happen. I suspect the bluelink informatics will still suck despite possibly being able to do OTA updates(which at this point I am not sure is a good thing). They might be onto something when 5G becomes more prevalent.
    If I was in the market for a new EV Ioniq 5 would be contender for sure but I don't see enough flash or magic here to take a financial hit trading a Kona in for an Ioniq 5.

Lars likes this.
  16. Yeah, if I didn't have the Kona already, I might want to take a closer look at the Ioniq 5. But certainly nothing compelling enough that I know now, to want to trade in my Kona. All that would accomplish is losing a bunch of money due to depreciation. Even the range doesn't seem like much more.

For those looking to buy their first EV, a used Kona might be a very good deal these days, esp knowing that you will get a brand new battery at some point in the future.

Lars likes this.
  17. miatadan

What is compelling is the Ioniq 5 is that it was designed from the ground up as a EV, not a ICE vehicle adapted to EV with same body & interior as an ICE vehicle. Just like a Mustang Mach-E better design as designed as a EV, not modified ICE vehicle like the electric Ford Focus.

Another example is the VW ID4 was designed from ground up as EV, not like the older e-Golf being Golf converted to EV with ICE style interior.

Dan

18. Not compelling enough to trade in my Kona, though.

19. miatadan

Yes, if you already have the Kona electric, no need to trade in but if buying EV for the first time, EV designed from the ground up is better engineered

NeilBlanchard, Lars and BC-Doc like this.
  20. Depends, there are a lot of EVs, designed from the ground up to be a BEV, that I wouldn't buy. But yes, the Ioniq 5 looks good on paper. Still would have to see one in person, and take for a test ride, before I could provide a meaningful opinion.

Clamps likes this.
  21. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I bought my Kona EV new 2019, I will be driving it to the ground or until the battery or motor dies out. Need to drive this Kona for at least 5 years to break even to a comparable ICE vehicle. By year 10, the gas savings is like I got this car for free.

Racked up 29,000 miles so far....a new battery will help extend its life.

Won't be looking into a new EV anytime soon.

By the time I will be switching to a new EV, it will probably have level 5 self-autonomous driving.

BC-Doc likes this.
  22. Hyundai has halted manufacturing and it looks like they are retooling those lines to make other vehicles. That means non-recoverable cost to start making them again. They are only moving already produced inventory.

;)