The so many variables involved in GOM range estimates...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by coutinpe, Jul 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I know this has been a recurring topic and almost everyone knows that speed, temperature and terrain are key factors on the EV estimated range, but I would like to add a couple of observations out of my 2.5 years of driving the Clarity. First I noticed that driving on a highway against strong winds would markedly reduce EV and also fuel mileage. Then I moved from LA to Las Vegas and immediately noticed that my GOM slowly crawled up from 50-52 miles to 63-65 miles, and stayed there for a while, without significant changes from January (temperatures on the 40's and 50's) to July (with a 117F record broken). However, after my first visit to a Las Vegas dealer for routine maintenance (an awful experience that I would tell elsewhere) I noticed that the GOM fell sharply from the 60s down to 47-48. First I suspected some sort of 'electronic reset' brought it back to the 'official' 47 miles, no matter how slowly I drove. However, I got an intuition and checked the tire pressure. They set it up all tires at 32 PSI, way down the recommended 36. So I reinflated the tires and voila! Good old GOM went back to the 60's in 3 days! So here's another variable to consider when trying to understand the GOM.

insightman, MrFixit and Danks like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It’s possible that the dealer had your car ON/READY for a period of time which drained the battery a bit, while going zero miles. Similar to sitting in the car with the A/C on for half an hour.

36psi is the recommended, minimum, pressure for the vehicle at GVWR, or roughly 5000lbs. With one or two people in the car, 32psi would be a suitable pressure. It won’t harm the tires to run them at 36psi, even if a majority of driving is done with only one person in the car.

Interestingly, Michelin has given the tire a maximum pressure rating of 44psi, however the maximum load rating is obtained at 36psi. The EV range estimate is worth its weight in charcoal. The difference between 32-36psi, probably isn’t much of a factor.

JFon101231 likes this.