The Optimal W or V on Clarity Tire

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Geor99, Jan 22, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I need to replace my 2 front Clarity tires. I did a horrible job of rotating them. I am trying to decide between 2 Walmart tires. 1 with a 98W and the other with a 94V:

Lexani LXUHP-207 UHP 235/45ZR18 98W XL Pass. Tire
    or
    Supermax UHP-1 235/45ZR18 94W Ultra-High-Performance All Season Tires

They both have good ratings, and the website claims that they will properly fit my Clarity. I got run around in circles trying to understand what a V and a W is for tires. I did look around on Google, so I am not being completely lazy by asking:)

Also, since I am just changing my front 2 tires; do I need to investigate what I am using on the rear and match them, as far as the V and/or W ratings? None of my tires are the original set from Honda, and I just went with what Discount Tire recommended when I had a blowout a couple of years ago.

Anyone understand the V vs W and have a recommendation on which way to go? And any input on the need to match the V and W of the 2 rear tires that I am not changing?

FYI: They are both around $250, including installation at WalMart for the set of 2 tires.

Thanks Guys!!!

-George

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

JFon101231 likes this.
  4. They are Speed Ratings.
    V=149mph
    W=168mph

If you do a “Thelma and Louise”, the car may reach those speeds on the way down. The tires, however, will not be in contact with the ground at that moment in time, rendering the ratings meaningless.

alecbray likes this.
  5. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

IF that is what those rating means and it appears to be, what an absurd thing to rate tires on. I got to 91mph for about 3 seconds once and that was an extreme circumstance. Apart from that, I may have spent 60 seconds total above 80mph over 4 years.

What are the numbers to the left of the V and W. 94v and 98W?

Correction: I should have typed 94V in the original posting and not 94W.

6. When Google fails, read the manual.

Tire ratings provide information that allow the user to choose an appropriate tire for the intended purpose. Many trailer tires have a Speed Rating of 65mph. Some folks might consider it a poor choice to put trailer tires on a passenger vehicle. Fortunately, tire manufacturers have given us enough data to make an informed decision.

EEE58894-4577-4344-A5D3-A103EC04308C.jpeg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

(Moderator's note: This post is a humorous look at tire misinformation found on a supposedly legit site. W is a relatively recent speed rating - good up to 168 mph (270km/h))

Dammit, I bought the 98W, as they were more readily available; and the manual says to use the 94V:)

Now, I am very confused. Check this out:

Are W-Rated Tires Better Than V-Rated?
    No, W-rated tires are not necessarily better than V-rated tires. W-rated tires are designed for winter conditions, while V-rated tires are designed for high-performance vehicles. Both types of tires have their own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to choose the right tire for your needs.

What Is 98w On Tires?
    A 98w tire has a speed rating of 98 mph. If you’re looking for a tire that can handle high speeds and intense driving, then you should choose a tire with a high-speed rating.

Can I Use W-Rated Tires In Summer?
    No, you should not use W-rated tires in summer. W-rated tires are designed for winter conditions and may not perform well in summer weather. If you’re looking for a tire that can handle high speeds and intense driving, then you should choose a tire with a high-speed rating.

Then look at my tire:

Lexani LXUHP-207 235/45ZR18 98W XLOVERVIEWLexani's LXUHP-207 is an ultra-high-performance tire for drivers of performance-oriented passenger vehicles and features a V-shaped tread pattern that improves traction and braking performance at higher speeds. Backed by a 40,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life, the LXUHP-207's four longitudinal grooves drain water from the tread to reduce the risk of hydroplaning on wet roads while a solid center rib enhances handling performance in wet and dry conditions.
    • Designed for use on performance-oriented vehicles in warmer weather conditions
    • Backed by a 40,000 mile limited manufacturer tread life
    • Wide, lateral grooves enhance hydroplaning resistance by efficiently evacuating water out of the tread
    • V-shaped tread pattern improves traction and braking performance when driving at higher speeds
    • Computer optimized design lowers road noises and vibrations to create a quiet, comfortable ride for drivers and passengers
    One explanation is that the place where I got what I pasted above may be grossly incorrect: https://motordeets.com/94v-vs-94h-vs-94w-tires/

I thought that every website on the internet was supposed to be correct:)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  9. The main issue here is that the answers to the 3 bold letter questions are completely wrong. Decisions can and will be made on false information. Generally, those will be poor decisions. It’s garbage in garbage out.

Take a breath and spend a few minutes on a tire manufacturers website. Look at the charts for Load Index and Speed Ratings.

W is the speed rating as posted previously.
    98 is the load index, in this case, 1653lbs.

Both ratings exceed the ratings of the OEM tires. Does that make them “better”? Define better.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  10. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

No. That's not what any of that means. And you apparently know it's wrong, based on the last bit of your post, so why on Earth did you quote that misinformation?

11. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

It looks like that website is completely wrong. https://motordeets.com/94v-vs-94h-vs-94w-tires/

It looks like whomever created that website is wrong about virtually everything that he has on it.

It looks like google went to it because I searched under 94v vs 94w for tires; and the website address is virtually identical to my search. Its a great lesson for me to be a lot more skeptical about what I read on random websites; and that I need to slow down and take the time to learn things instead of looking for quick answers.

12. To remove this ad click here.