Test drove an ID.4 today - Steering too tight?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by TheLight75, Dec 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Hi there,

Former Kona EV owner here who is now considering an ID.4. I took an ID.4 FE for a test drive today (because that's all they had) and enjoyed most of it: the acceleration was solid & smooth (w/o spinning the tires), the ACC features worked well, and I was zipping along a happy camper. The one thing that I noticed which I didn't really like is that compared to most other vehicles, the steering was WAY too unforgiving (like a high-end sports car). Just moving the steering wheel a couple of millimeters started moving the front tires which frequently led to the car wiggling as I wasn't keeping the wheel perfectly locked in. After a few minutes, it was enough to start making me feel just a bit carsick.

Is this normal? I tried cycling between all of the driving modes but the steering wheel never softened up. Can this be adjusted in the custom mode? Do the 2022 Pro & Pro S also respond the same?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Dan Dan

Dan Dan New Member

Hm.

I test drove a First Edition (again, all they had) and didn't have your experience. I drove it on city streets and a quick highway drive (maybe three to five miles) and it tracked like any other SUV of that size (not like I'm an expert). My other car is the Sienna hybrid, which is the opposite of twitchy, so if it were wiggly think I would notice.

If you are in the United States, you can go to the VW Roadshow and see if it's coming to a town near you. Given how long it takes to get delivery (yikes!), you should have time to try out a Pro, Pro S, and maybe even some AWD versions.

The only thing I did notice is how dreamy it was to parallel park it with that turning radius!

4. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings
    I was station in Germany and drove German built car. The steering was tight and I had forgotten about that. When I started driving the ID 4. But yes German made cars do have tight steering but it is ez to get used to it.