Test drove a 2018 Bolt - Questions

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by WilliamJones, Sep 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I drove two 2018 cars yesterday: a Bolt LT and Honda Clarity. I really liked both cars but cannot decide between the two. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.
    Questions:
    1) The backup camera on the Honda was very clear. The Bolt was hard to see. This is important to me so I tested in different angles (camera aimed at the sun and away from the sun, etc). Does the Bolt have a way to change brightness? Has anyone else seen this?

2) I would like to have navigation. Is this available in the Bolt? Worst case is that I get an unlimited data plan and use my phone, although I prefer the built in nav system (even though they are not perfect).
    Comments:
    The Honda seemed more plush, but the Bolt was adequate enough for me. The Bolt seemed more fun to drive even though the seats were not as comfortable. Again, the Bolt will be adequate. One thing I didn't like about the Bolt, but will probably be OK after I get used to it. The gear shifter was a little difficult to shift. The Honda had push buttons and reminded me of a diesel pusher motor home shifter.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I have never seen a way to adjust brightness or contrast on the Bolt's display. I think WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

There is no built-in Nav on the Bolt. You will have to use your phone. The Bolt does offer a WiFi plan for $20/month so compare that to upgrading to unlimited. It also gives WiFi to your passengers (my kids love it of course!). But it also means you have to plan ahead and download maps if you may be driving into areas without service.

4. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

All true, but there is OnStar navigation in the Bolt EV, which I pay for and use all the time. Its really rock solid navigation, even though there is no map display. I found I don't need the map display. The Bolt EUV apparently has full navigation with maps. I had full navigation on a 2014 Honda Odyssey van a few years back, and they charged more than $100 each year or so for updates to the navigation. The update procedure at that time was off a DVD, and it was painful. As OnStar is on subscription you don't have to deal with the upgrades. I don't know what Honda does now in their navi systems.

5. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

In bright sunlight shining on the backup camera its hard to see the image. Nothing you can do about it. Its a pain, and happens probably 30% of the time.

6. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

The 2017-2019 Bolts do have a really poor resolution backup camera. It's weird because the rear-view-mirror camera that you get on the Premier trim is really good. I am pretty sure they upgraded this for 2020+.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    So, Mr. Jones, what did you wind up doing? I don't think you will see many people comparing these two cars, they are so different! I have had a Clarity for three years and just recently purchased a 2017 Bolt. If the backup camera clarity is important to you, you picked two bad cars! I have been complaining about the backup camera in my Clarity for years, and the poor quality is certainly matched by the Bolt! They are the two worst backup cameras of any cars that I have driven. As far as comfort and interior quality is concerned, your comment saying "The Honda seemed more plush, but the Bolt was adequate enough for me" pretty much sums it up.