Tesla just won the self driving battle

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Oct 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Tesla just won the self driving battle.

Lets compare Tesla's FSD (in beta with anticipated release by year end) to some vaporware bs like Cruz.

Tesla has about 2 thousand times more data gathered from approaching 2 million times more miles driven.

Tesla's system is general an can drive disconnected from the network, GMs is limited to pre-mapped geofenced mapped areas network connected miles

GM's vehicles look ridiculous with all their Waymo rigged taxi borging- Tesla vehicles
    have it integrated.

GMs system is 40x more expensive.

Tesla has more than a million drivers already
    Already familiar with the tech.

Tesla will soon reach a magic 10 billion miles to get its FSD system into the 9s.

And if you see the new videos people are as thrilled or more so than the discovery of ludicris electric thrust.

Its critical to understand that the revolution does not depend on waiting for regulatory approval for level 5- no FSD crosses the threshold right now.

It is over for the other makers, this will hit with winner take all.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

While it appears that Tesla has made a significant advancement, it seems a bit premature to do a victory lap yet. Let's give it some time.

However, with what I've seen so far, those 100 Tesla owners (video bloggers?) may be reconsidering their order for that new Ford Mustang.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

So FSD can drive the 'victory lap'?

I'd like to see the Cannon Ball route. Not for speed but for hands-free.

Bob Wilson

5. marshall

I look forward to seeing a video of you trying it when you get your update.

Maybe they can get George Bush jr. to hold the checker flag and proclaim mission accomplished.

Fastnf and bwilson4web like this.
  6. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

It is definitely game over.

The position of Ford and GM is kind of emblematic or representative. Every piece of Tesla content has a GM or Ford ad affixed to it because GM and Ford have lost the same amount of interest and mindshare with the public as with new engineering grads. People don't want their products or their insecure boring jobs unless they have to settle for them and even in edge cases they won't have settle much longer and won't settle much longer.

Ford and GM don't have any secret sauce, they don't know how to do anything anymore and they aren't even good at marketing. They are senile at best and impotent. Think of Bara's saying Nikola and GM had kinship its like saying GM resonates with a generic commodity label for parts bin parts from Bosch and IVECO and because of what?- intermarried natural gas corruption- they are painfully transparent they can't even tell their lies anymore. Its like GM in the veins Lutz projecting GM's impotence trying to say Tesla has no secret sauce when Tesla is all secret sauce. Its like BMW just having another sedan fail (they are all failing by the way) so hard it was sent back to the cook for a fugly front bumper facia (because surprise what people want is not more BMW the brand is cliche, a ridden to death dead horse) so BMW does a projecting attack add saying Model 3 rear bumpers come off because of rain. Its like Ford doing its don't think of the pink (Tesla) elephant in the room ads when trying to proclaim how up the but of CA it is. Proof they are not even good at marketing drivel any more. Their Mustang brand is irrelevant not 'iconic' they don't even know the word 'iconic' is ick. These glory days brands and their associated robber baron families are like a yellowed old push button land line corded telephone from the 70s. The are just sullying their memory they should just self liquidate.

Given self driving and vastly greater powertrain durability and longevity and tesla factory economies of scale, each Tesla factory is replacing 100 Ford or GM factories and Tesla will have 20 of these by 2030.

It is game over. They should get out with the tiny shread of past tense dignity they have left- they have no value added proposition and they have no clue about competition they haven't done anything but collude for 70 years. These aren't sages or veterans they are 90 year old imaciated senile weaklings and they are the only ones that don't know it. They need to get out of the way. So yeah- game over.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Calm my friend. Let the market decide.

Bob Wilson

interestedinEV likes this.
  9. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

absolutely agree with @bwilson4web

And the surprising part of all the postings above is missing Waymo. In my neck of the woods (East valley of Phoenix), you cannot miss the Waymo Self driving vechiles, and you can even hire them like a taxi. Yes, Geo-fenced but still autonomous driven.

This article puts Waymo first, and Cruise second.
    https://www.intelligent-mobility-xperience.com/5-top-autonomous-vehicle-companies-to-watch-in-2020-a-958065/

I have no idea which one is better, but the jury is till our. As @marshall say, too premature to declare victory.

10. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Do you think Teslas will stop slamming into fire trucks and semi trailers at hwy speeds now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleL likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

An early report:

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Yes. The new FSD uses multiple frames for better object recognition vs the previous single frame detection. This will greatly help in detecting large stationary objects.

14. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

What about little Jane that runs out two feet in front of a Tesla to catch her ball that bounced into the street? Oh and sh is short enough the sensors can't see her, but the driver isn't paying attention because the car is in full self driving mode?

Or how about someone's cat?

Also, what happens WHEN the government or someone else hacks in and forces a Tesla to lock all doors and drive someone they disagree with off of a bridge?
    Make no mistake, ALL of these scenarios WILL happen.

And if a mistake does occur, who then becomes legally responsible?

15. marshall

Well if the sensors/cameras can't see her, then I suspect you and I wouldn't see her either. The good news is that this would be rare occurrence.

Well it hasn't happened yet that I'm aware of. So this seems like just monsters under-the-bed, social media talk to me. Anyhow, the same thing could be said of Cruise and Waymo.

At this point in time, Tesla is not a self-driving car. As such, the driver is legally responsible. Note that some insurance companies my not cover you while in this drive mode. So make sure you check with your insurance company.

16. marshall

Yes, providing they have the latest Tesla self-driving hardware and software.

17. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Nobody knows when full self driving will actually become a thing. Just wait and let it happen. There will probably be multiple different competitors that operate

DaleL likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

The front ultrasonic sensors will detect her and slam on the brakes. BTW, there are three front facing cameras that are more than a foot ahead of the driver and about 4-6" higher. The see to the approaching sides and render what is approaching.
    [​IMG]

Cats are smarter than that but squirrels are not so bright.

Everyone in the Tesla will survive because of the excellent crash performance:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09/tesla-model-3-wins-top-safety-rating-after-acing-crash-tests/
    [​IMG]
    Furthermore, the Tesla dashcam and internal log will fully describe what happened. Then everyone who initiated this will face charges of which the least is Computer Trespass.

Just as before, the driver.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  19. bwilson4web

Funny you should ask:
    Source: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-foils-worst-thieves-ever-video/

The theft attempt started when the radio host received notifications on her phone early one morning stating that her Model 3’s alarm was triggered. After receiving the notifications, Brett went to her locked garage where she had parked her Model 3 and discovered it was missing.

Unfortunately for the would-be thieves, Brett’s Model 3 is equipped with safety features like Sentry Mode, which continuously monitors a Tesla’s surroundings when it is left unattended. Through these features, footage from the car’s suite of cameras could be retrieved.

The Tesla mobile app’s features gave Brett time to follow her Model 3’s would-be “car-nappers.” She was able to track her car through the Tesla app, unbeknownst to the would-be thieves. With the help of a friend with a vehicle, Brett was able to eventually catch up with her vehicle.

Although there are accurate statements, some of this story has some 'dodgy' bits like 'open the sunroof.' My suspicion is a made-up story for dramatic effect. Also, leaving a purse in the car ... not in our family. Regardless, it is accurate that our Tesla App has a lot of capabilities.

Bob Wilson

20. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

He’s not talking about car theft he’s talking about what happens if the car is hacked/controlled while in autopilot. Having the ability to follow your car with your phone doesn’t really matter then.

I personally don’t care, but I don’t know what the risk is there or why someone would hack beyond political assassinations.

21. I actually don't get the hype around FSD. Autopilot with all the driving assist features (like FCA and blinds spot alert) that enhance safety, yes. I can see where maybe FSD is useful for the incompetent driver, or old and feeble (and those going senile) who don't trust themselves anymore to drive safely. But maybe they shouldn't even have a driver's license. The only other group that seems enthralled with FSD are the geeks who are still overly impressed with new technology and just want to play with all the latest gimmicks.

Seriously if you don't want to drive, take a taxi/Uber or a bus. You really don't need an FSD car!

22. marshall

I think the whole point of a FSD car is to earn money from it. Put enough of these FSD cars in the neighborhood earning money, then the question is more like: "Why do I need to own a car at all, or why do I need to own two cars?"

If Tesla can it done at a reasonable price, then it's game over for a lot of these auto makers.

23. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Those crash tests are all done at relatively low speed.