TESLA 3 test drive

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, May 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

After 2 years with my Kona Ultimate, I tested the Tesla today. Totally different. Very low, with stiff seats and jumpy ride. It seemed quieter, but measured 74 dB, just like the Kona. Absolutely everything is done through a pizza sized touch screen. Lights, mirrors, radio volume, everything. Step hard on the pedal and acceleration snaps your neck. 80 before you know it. Regenerative braking is complete and automatic. Nothing to pull or adjust.
    Two flips of the shift stalk and you enter autopilot, another world. Tesla stops at lights, then smoothly accelerates. Set navigation and the car slows, steers into the correct turns, avoids pedestrians and other cars. On highway it self navigates but occasionally drifts out of lane. Stop and go traffic is 100% automatic.
    Heater is heat pump. Mileage was 4.7 miles/kWh mixed city and highway. Range was 345 miles.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I loved my Model 3 test drive but still chose the Kona over it for some very specific reasons that relate to my personal needs but I preferred the Tesla. Having said that I think they are both excellent EV’s, two of the best in terms of efficiency.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I test drove and ordered a Model Y.. Model 3 is too low and has too little trunk space for a family vehicle.. Model Y has plenty of space.. The current 2021 production Model Y is also quieter as it has thicker double pane windows. I was impressed with the test drive.. Very quiet and smooth and can't beat the panoramic roof.. Ordered over 4 weeks ago and no VIN yet.. May be 8 - 9 weeks total until I'll get it.. The Kona is not in the same league but it's also not in the same price range, especially after taxes.. Total for the Y after taxes and options is over $57000 and no tax credit..
    One thing that Kona has over Tesla is lack of battery degradation.. I fast charge about twice every week and no noticeable degradation.. Since the hot weather has started here in Florida, my 80% city range is between 250 and 275 miles and I have almost 51k miles on the car and 160+ fast charges..

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    KiwiME, arhnold and electriceddy like this.
  5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

We also added a Model Y to our garage. It is a different feeling completely. As I've said in different forums, the Kona excels in some areas like price and efficiency but the Y feels heaver and is a bit quieter. We have both still. My wife has taken over the Mod Y and I get the Kona. We just drove the Mod Y to southern CA without a hitch using supercharging most of the way. Incredible to get 250 Kwh charging. Makes for a 15 min stop, barely long enough to use the restroom. I actually like charge locations a bit better when you have a Walmart to go into. Several had no restroom facilities or restaurants to visit.
    We chose not to pay the 10K for the self driving as we tested one and contrary to a previous comment, it didn't work well for busy signals. If it ever released, we might consider it but for now, no.
    The Kona allows for more versatility in the autoregen. You can change the levels and manually make it max. The Mod Y on the other hand was always max if set that way in the settings but made it consistent and predictable. As stated above, the price point was why we selected the Kona. I also wanted some choice on where to charge and believed the competition would reduce charging costs but that turned out not to be an issue. My biggest complaint is companies like EVGo and ChargePoint who still charge by the minute. To me it's a form of price gouging, especially if you live in a colder climate. Both Electrify America (EA) and Tesla charge by Kwh delivered where it is not illegal.
    One big difference is the tires. Where as the Tesla came with low profile large tires and wheels, the Kona had more standard proportioned tires. Most would pick performance but I believe in the long run they will be more expensive. They are very susceptible to damage from potholes or curbs rash. They have a stiffer ride but hug the road super tightly. Talked to an old timer Mod S owner hanging around the Tesla service center. He currently owns two Mod S's with combined mileage of half million miles. He had abandon the low profile tires as he had been spending double for low profile tires. He had modified both vehicles to be "live in" vehicles. Pretty amazing that he hadn't made them ugly in doing so. Inverter, microwave, water heater, bed and minimal pluming. Crazy. Obviously a person with deep pockets and a desire to be alone.

BC-Doc, XtsKonaTrooper and KiwiME like this.
  6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

For me, the reason why I went with the Y was 1) Supercharging and 2) leg room in the back and trunk/frunk space..
    If the Y would have been available when I bought the Kona, I would have a Y right now and not the Kona.. The Model 3 was just too low and didn't have more trunk space than the Kona, so the better price and warranty on the Kona made my choice easy at the time. I also tend to be a cheap *** when it comes to spending money.. I could easily "afford" a Model X easily but I just don't like to spend money on cars.. The Y will be 2nd most expensive car that I have ever bought.. The only more expensive car that I ever bought was a 1991 Ferrari Testarossa in 2005..

GeorgeS and ttsherpa like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.