Taycan starting production Monday

Discussion in 'General' started by David Green, Sep 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

For how much every you believe electrek here is a quote from the article. (While they say 20,000 units per week in the first line, they change 20,000 units per year in the last, which is more believable). It is going to take them at least 6-8 months to get that run rate, provided that the demand is there. As per @David Green himself, it will not be available in the US till 2Q 2020. So we are not going to know US sales for quite some time. The price has clearly surprised a lot of people.

After the launch this week, I am starting to think that the original 20,000 units per week target is more realistic than the more recent 40,000 units number that has been thrown around.

Most people seem to still be impressed by the vehicle. There’s the inevitable spec comparison with Tesla Model S, which is obviously not making the Taycan look good, but there’s more than specs.

The car looks stunning, and Porsche’s biggest point has also been driving pleasure, which remains to be verified.

However, I think the price is the biggest issue. The few reservation holders I talked to following the announcement were surprised by it.

They knew that Porsche would first launch the higher-end versions of the car, but they still thought it would be closer to $150,000 fully equipped.

Instead, it is starting at $150,000 and going up to $200,000.

I still think that there’s going to be significant demand for the car, but a target closer to 20,000 units per year is more reasonable.

4. David Green

20000 units per week? Only the Ford F150 has that kind of production level. I think Porsche is planning to sell about 10K Taycan worldwide in the first year of production (Sept 9th 2019 thru Sept 9th 2020), all will be Turbo, and Turbo S, and then as production ramps, and smooths out they will introduce the regular Taycan priced much lower to be their volume leader, this is much how Tesla launched the Model 3. Expensive units first until demand-production balance is met, then introduce the lower priced modes as production volume increases.

Initial Taycan production is in the 150-250K price range depending on model, and options.

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

As I mentioned 20,000 per year not month, and that the article was wrong in the first sentence but correct in the second. Let us say that deliveries start two quarters from now to the US. If at that time they are producing 800 a month, which is a lot and they divert 200-300 a month to the US, it is not going to make a major dent on the S/X as most of the buyers would not be S/X buyers, they would come from other very high end brands. Hence impact on Tesla from this is going to be marginal.

6. David Green

Well, I would say 5K of those 10K Taycan buyers in the first year would have been Tesla S or X "P series" buyers ('P" means performance for Tesla and also PROFIT), so it will have some impact on Tesla, as Porsche will get some of Tesla's high end buyers. 5K buyers will not alone bankrupt Tesla, but it's it another hit to their demand. The hits keep coming, E-Tron was a hit, I-Pace was a hit. Actually Tesla's own Model 3 I think Has hit S and X hard, S is down especially hard in the USA. EQC will be a hit, and others as we go along. There is not one Tesla killer, its just all of these models are taking a little bite, mostly on the high end profitable customers, and Tesla has had to in 1 year lower the price on the "P" series S and X 30% just to keep above 50% of last years sales volume, this has hit the bottom line hard for Tesla, they went from Profit in Q3 and Q4 last year to massive loss in Q1, and Q2 2019, and Q3 2019 is shaping up to be very bad for Tesla especially in the USA market.

7. To remove this ad click here.