Study of face masks effectiveness

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bwilson4web, Nov 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/17/wearing-masks-single-most-effective-way-to-tackle-covid-study-finds?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1

Mask-wearing is the single most effective public health measure at tackling Covid, reducing incidence by 53%, the first global study of its kind shows.

Vaccines are safe and effective and saving lives around the world. But most do not confer 100% protection, most countries have not vaccinated everyone, and it is not yet known if jabs will prevent future transmission of emerging coronavirus variants.

Globally, Covid cases exceeded 250 million this month. The virus is still infecting 50 million people worldwide every 90 days due to the highly transmissible Delta variant, with thousands dying each day.

Now a systematic review and meta analysis of non-pharmaceutical interventions has found for the first time that mask wearing, social distancing and handwashing are all effective measures at curbing cases – with mask wearing the most effective.
    . . .

Sounds good to me.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Cool. Assuming this isn't BS (I don't see how they actually corrected for bias nor do I plan on reading all of the cited studies in the meta-analysis), I don't care. Why? Because it is absurd to force everyone to wear masks for the rest of their lives. I don't want to live that way and your paranoia doesn't matter to me. This virus almost elusively kills/hospitalizes old people and unhealthy people, so it only makes sense for them to take precautionary measures instead of the whole population. It doesn't matter if young and healthy people get covid because it is very low risk to them, so transmission itself doesn't matter for them.

Secondly, you probably didn't actually read the study. You progressives never do.

upload_2021-11-22_23-56-40.jpeg upload_2021-11-22_23-56-40.jpeg