Stripped License Plate Screw

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Newbs, Jul 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Newbs

Newbs New Member

So I tightened the screw a little too much and stripped out the very soft plastic of the rear license plate holder. Actually, I didn’t really torque it very much, but that plastic is soft and I guess it didn’t take much.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do so my license plate doesn’t fall off? There really should be a better way to attach the plate, especially in CA where I have to take the plate off every year to put on the new registration sticker. I’m not sure that plastic would have held up even I were careful.

Is there a way to put some kind of threaded insert or something? I’d like to try and get a more permanent solution and I don’t want to lose my plate.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Larger diameter screw?

Why do you have to take off your plate to put on the sticker? Is there a plate frame in the way? If so, ditching that is your best bet for a permanent fix.

4. Newbs

Newbs New Member

I do have a plate frame as I think the plates look unfinished without one. That said, even without it, I have found that the best way to remove the old sticker each year is to use a lighter on the back of the plate to warm up the sticker so that it is pliable enough to come off in one piece. I’ve never had luck getting it off without taking the plate off.

in any case, either way, I still have a problem now with the stripped screw. Any suggestions? I don’t really want to epoxy it in place or anything. Every other vehicle I have owned has had a nicely threaded license plate holder with machine screws. The plastic with tapping screws seems like a pretty inelegant solution. Even if I hadn’t stripped it, the plastic seems soft enough that if you warm it in the sun a little bit you could easily pull the plates right off.

5. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

You can get a replacement license plate holder that has metal threaded inserts.

I found a few on eBay. Search for “Rear License Plate Tag Holder Mounting Bracket for MINI COOPER” on the ‘bay.

Newbs and Carsten Haase like this.
  6. BackPack

BackPack Member

Why are you removing the old sticker? Just put the new sticker on top. About the time you get a nice layer of stickers, they’ll replace your plate with a new one to start the process over.

sacharama and SameGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

One of my front screws stripped and I replaced it with a larger diameter screw. Also, I have never bothered to remove my old registration stickers. They stack nicely.

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My state never replaces plates unless damaged or stolen. I do stack a few stickers, but after about four years I usually use a razor blade to remove the old stickers. Of course the SE isn't old enough to worry about that yet. I am with @Newbs about needing a frame, which is why I replaced mine with a tabless plate frame that shows the entire plate but provides a border.

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

wrap a little teflon tape on it.

Puppethead likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

One year, I forgot to put the new sticker on my license plate. Then one day I returned to my parked car to find under my windshield wiper a ticket for elapsed registration. Rather than be an upstanding citizen willing to admit and pay for my mistake, I peeled off a couple layers of stickers and took my plate to the Secretary of State's office and whined that someone had been able to steal my current sticker due to the many layers (a sticker can't be removed so easily if it's the only one affixed to the plate). My ploy worked worked and I didn't have to pay the ticket--although I did have to pay a nominal fee for a replacement sticker. So there's my argument for layering license-plate registration stickers.

ghost and SameGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    “I forgot” is 9/10ths of the law, after all! :p

insightman likes this.
  14. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If you don’t want to put additional holes in you bumper with Amazon plate holder you adding 2 holes to hold and 4 existing holes you cover with new plate holder.My idea is to get those inserts from hardware store Home Depot,Lowes’s and use those strip existing 4 holes to create new permanent points with machine screws for easy removal.You need 4 inserts 1/4”x20 and right size 4 machine screws 1/4”x20 to hold a license plate with frame .They have In Stainless Steel those inserts and screws .Round flat part is outside flash with car body. F469F965-0ABD-4208-BD0C-3CF9499FACC9.jpeg You glue them permanently flash with epoxy or crazy glue .They going to look like factory .

Puppethead likes this.
  16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Unless I’m missing something, the stripped holes are not in the “car body,” but in the cheap plastic holder that is held in with two screws. No need to drill the car nor glue in inserts. An $11 replacement holder swaps right in.

sacharama and Rogwp like this.
  17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Sorry 8981FB76-98E8-450A-9B53-CB67CD872280.jpeg You right is a plate holder there an $11 is a bargain for guys not mechanically skill just to replace strips holes in old one to next time somebody strip them again using power driver

18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Any time you strip them just use screws with bigger dimensions

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@Rexsio, did you remove your license plate just to help us visualize the license plate holder? Thanks for your dedication to being a great forum member!

20. Newbs

Newbs New Member

California recommends removing the old sticker before applying the new one. I think it’s because it adheres much better. I also thinks it looks ugly with the stack of old stickers. Just personal preference I guess. And I don’t think plates ever get replaced here (at least I’ve never gotten a replacement plate on any car I’ve owned).

Also, thanks to everyone on the suggestion to get a replacement license plate holder. That’s the solution I was looking for. Even someone as clueless as me should be able to install it…

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  21. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Yes I did for my curiosity what I did wrong with my post and for fun I cursed my dealer he screw my front license plate to a bumper and I Email him to not do it ahead of pic up my car I should sue him to replace my front bumper with proof of my Email .

insightman likes this.
  22. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Not so fast you need speciality drivers to remove those two screws from replacement plate all minis have those drivers every where I purchase at Harbor Fright for cheap 38C0CC04-C466-4C85-A013-28450131DD19.jpeg

23. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

6 points drivers not Allen or Philips