Stopping charging without bluelink???

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, May 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm getting annoyed with bluelink timing out 90% of the time lately..
    I usually use bluelink to stop charging on chargers that do not allow to stop charging at the charger or charger app. What I usually do in the case that bluelink is not responding, I go into the car's settings and change the max charge to a percentage lower than the current charge level and charging will stop.. However, if I forget to set it back to the original value, my car will only charge to that level next time I connect it.. So, I don't like to do that.
    I read that people would use the unlock button 3 times and then remove the plug. However, on my car, the charge rate does NOT drop to 0.5 kw as others indicated. It stays at the same rate.. It only drops the current when doing that on DC fast but not on a Level 2 charger... so I don't want to use that method as I don't want to do a hot disconnect.. Any input would be appreciated..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Does the power drop when you press the button on the plug before you remove it?

I had a similar situation once - I was in the shadow of a large building and BlueLink just wasn't working.

4. I personally don't worry about it. I unlock my car and then pull the plug. I'm certainly not going through BlueLink to stop charging since, as you mentioned, that takes about a minute to do. In theory the "data"-connection between the charger and the car gets separated before the actual charging connection and should help alleviate that problem.

If it would be a big problem, they would have designed the connection differently, or would have implemented some other mechanism. Since no other EV on the market (correct me if I'm wrong) has ever implemented any additional functionality like that, I wouldn't worry and just unplug since it only affects AC charging.

GeorgeS likes this.
  5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The time I ran across the issue, the connector was locked in and I couldn't just pull it out. I ultimately had to use the door unlock button a couple of times to get it to release, but this was shortly after I got the car, and I was fiddling with BlueLink first to try and get it to unlock. Through trial-and-error I figured out that the door unlock button also did the trick.

6. FloridaSun

I can't look at my dash while pulling the plug out. All I know is that the LED is flashing green when I push the tab. I don't want to unplug if it is green or blinking green. I want it not to be illuminated so that I know that no energy is flowing..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

I still prefer that I disconnect when no energy ia flowing..

9. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

If someone [bluekona?] could have a second person watch the charge rate while you
    fob-unlock and then press and hold the J-plug latch button, that would be useful to
    describe what actually happens. As soon as the proximity connection opens, the
    charge current should drop to zero, period. The system should never allow pulling
    the plug under live load.

If you're worried about being faster than the protective systems, hold the latch
    button for a second before pulling.

_H*

10. FloridaSun

I will ask my wife to watch the charging rate when I push the lever on the plug handle..