Stop Charging Function

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Glenn Gore, Jan 14, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

Does anyone besides me have trouble with the Stop Charging button on the Hyundai Bluelink app actually stop charging?

This morning I needed to put a little more charge into my Ioniq 5 to make it home so I visited a ChargePoint station for a quick 10 minute top-up. When I had enough charge in the vehicle I tried to use the buttons on the charger window to stop charging but after activating the Stop Charging button, the Yes confirmation would not activate. Of course the actual screen was covered by a plastic protector that was severely cracked, so I tried using the Stop Charging button on the Bluelink app on my phone.

After 2 minutes I got a message on the app that the function could not be activated. This happened several times, even after refreshing the app.

The only way I could actually get charging to stop was to go into the EV Settings on the vehicle screen and change the charging limit down to something less than the current state of charge. I did that, charging stopped and the connector unlocked.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this problem. I find it amazing that the Ioniq 5 does not have a Stop Charging button anywhere in the on-screen menu.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Even

Even New Member

I understand your frustration and sympathize. As an Ioniq 5 owner I leave the charge lock off so that when I’m charging at an EA station I can disconnect before the 30 minutes of free charging ends. Also I have trust that others won’t pull the plug from my car if I step away. Still there should be a button you can press to abort a charging session. Hyundai needs to address that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

Thanks for the response. This particular incident is a bit different than other charging experiences, since ChargePoint dispensers do not have physical buttons available, only a touchscreen. At an EA charger you can just push the button corresponding to the Stop Charge command and that will work. I used ChargePoint only because the nearest EA charging station is 50 miles away and none of the units are working and have not been for months.

5. Even

Even New Member

I wasn’t clear before. I actually grab the handle and pull the plug out of the car’s socket.

6. Crash

Crash Member

If your car is unlocked, I think you can always just pull the cable/handle from the car's charging socket. There is no need to "stop the charge" first.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

The worst thing you can do is to yank the DCFC charging plug from the vehicle while it is charging. You should not be able to do that anyway because the connector is locked while in use. The Stop Charge function is necessary because a procedure must be followed when fast-charging to prevent damage to the vehicle.

I used the same ChargePoint charging station the other day and once again could not get the Stop Charge button to work, so I reduced the charge limit on the dashboard as before and the charge session ended.

Evidently the Bluelink app is just broken and non-functional.

9. Crash

Crash Member

Good point. Was not aware you were talking about a DCFC session. Do think I have ever ended one of those sessions without doing that via the car app or the DCFC (itself or its app).

10. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

Not a problem. I guess it is too much to ask that Hyundai put a Stop Charge button in the display while you are charging, like every other EV has.

Several things must be too much to ask, as I am already incensed that my long-range RWD SEL cannot do battery pre-conditioning and that the main software does not have route-planning. Having to deal with wintertime charging of a maximum of 30-50 kW because the battery is always cold is just plain ridiculous. But that is another story for another thread.

11. Even

Even New Member

As for battery pre-conditioning I just had a dealer update the software on my 2022 Ioniq 5 that takes care of that. Of course, using it is not straightforward. You have to go into the EV menu to activate it first. Then you have to set a route to a DC charging station using the car’s navigation system and you have to choose the station from the list provided in the system. The “Ioniq Guy” gives a very detailed explanation on his YouTube channel and includes ideas on route planning.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

You’re lucky. My 2022 RWD long-range model does not contain the necessary equipment for battery pre-conditioning, so it can’t be upgraded. I watched his video, the process is still FAR more inconvenient than in a Tesla. Or other EV’s. In those, you select the destination and the Nav knows it needs to pre-condition before you get there and how much to do. Far more intelligent.

14. Crash

Crash Member

I was thinking another clunky way to stop charging that I assume would work is to change the DC charge limit % down to the minimum (I think 50%) via the car's infotainment system. I would assume that the car would stop charging after you change that and the current charge is above the new limit.