Speaking of DC chargers...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jgood, Feb 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I had my first experience with DC chargers a few weeks ago. What shocked me was the cable. I understand that all that current needs a heavy cable, but do they realize that probably half the population couldn't wrangle that cable if their lives depended on it. It was below freezing and the cable was stiff (more accurately rigid). It took me about 3 minutes to get it into position and connected to the car. I was sweating when I was done from muscling it repeatedly into position. There was another couple connecting to an adjacent charger and the young woman said she doesn't even try anymore. She joked that she takes her husband with her to charge the car. I worry that electric vehicles will face a huge hurdle unless they can design some support system that brings the cable to your car so that you only have to make the last small adjustments. Perhaps an electric lift mechanism?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My local ABB 50kW DCFC has three of these together, CCS Combo, Chademo and 43kW AC Type 2. They are all beefy and get tangled up because few users are willing to arrange them nicely when they leave. It's a little embarrassing when non-EV people are watching because it's hard to make it look easy, hefting these cables around. I'm also a bit concerned about the AC cable's weight hanging on the Type 2 port. I arrange is so the cable's stiffness against the ground keeps the weight off.

4. At least we don't have far to go with it, I feel sorry for those with side mounted inlets.;)

5. That's one of the things I love about the Kona. The charge port is placed in a great spot.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

7. To remove this ad click here.