Spaceship noise

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Todd Hummel, Sep 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

We are new to the electric vehicle community as we have had our id-4 for about a month now. My wife really doesn't like the spaceship noise that beauty (the cars name) makes. Is there a way to turn this off. I get that it is a safety feature but still with recognition of its quiet nature and due diligence i believe that it can be operated safely. Thank you in advance for your advice. T3

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. pucksave

pucksave Member

From what I've read it is there because of a traffic safety law.

DAVID DRUMMOND likes this.
  4. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Yep. Pedestrian warning sound. Mandatory since 2019 I believe. Some brands are louder and some not as loud. Our ID.4 starts the digital sound around 15mph and stops around 22mph.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

Well bummer but thanks

6. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

Hmm, I would have thought the Driver has to watch out for the pedestrians, not the other way around.

Which country do you live?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pucksave

pucksave Member

Ok, I had one of the original 1990 Lexus LS 400...it ran nearly silent at low speeds..I would drive thru a parking lot and come up to within 3 feet of "strolling" peds before I finally had to yell out the window that they should move over (when i tooted my horn they would jump)..I WELCOME this slight noise

Todd Hummel likes this.
  9. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

The peoples republic of California. But in the slightly less crazy north. Above chico.

TonyInGA and G-10 like this.
  10. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

Ah, yes. I lived in Mojave, and the LA area. So, I can attest to that.

Though, still is the driver's fault if anything happens with a pedestrian.

11. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

I can't remember where I found this but here is the locations of the sound generators for those who wish to attenuate theirs. In retrospect I think I'll leave mine be.

Attached Files:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I have a Honda Clarity which also makes sounds when the vehicle is moving at <23 mph and backing up. Folks have shared how to block those sounds. That's not a step I'd like to explain to the insurance company or police....

14. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

Yea when I thought about it, more from the point of view of i dont want to punt a ped into tomorrow than getting in trouble, I decided against quieting her down.

15. buss69

buss69 New Member

Be thankful you don't have the Mercedes B class EV. The Virtual engine sound is like a baby whale being tortured!

16. This actually made me laugh out loud.

17. SailorK

SailorK New Member

These sounds seem so much like the old days of cars replacing horses and arcane laws so horses don't get spooked. A stupid case of excessive regulation

18. manybees

manybees New Member

Related question: does anyone know how to make the pedestrian warning noise even louder? I think the "Jetsons" sound is one of the most appealing features of the car.