Sound system on the Mini Cooper SSE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Sep 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi,

Just joined this forum. We got our Mini Cooper SE here in New Zealand last Saturday. We ordered the Mini Yours option which I think is the equivalent of the Iconic trim in the US and the Level 3 or Collection trims in the UK. I was frustrated to discover that it did not include the Harman Kardon sound system and I was given the reason because of the chip issue. So, I asked for compensation and was instead given a ceramic coat protection without warranty. I reckon that was ok ish. But, still feeling bum about the lame sound system. Is this pretty normal for Mini to just change specs while I n production?

Don’t get me wrong, we totally love the Mini Cooper SE! It is such a great car! And I am just being philosophical about the sound system right now, saying I cannot be an audiophile inside a small car, it is better to enjoy the ride!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I sympathize with you. I suspect that I’ll be (once again) installing new speakers in a brand new car. I’m not delaying this purchase for the stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. notalk

notalk New Member

I don't have an overwhelming need for this car. So, I will be delaying ordering until the Harman Kardon returns.

To the OP, the non-availability of the HK has been known since late spring. Not sure when you ordered your car, but, the fault probably lies with your dealer. If you ordered after the announcement, your dealer either wasn't up to speed or failed to tell you. if you ordered before the announcement, most US dealers notified their customers and asked if they wanted to let the order stand or cancel.

5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

And no, it's not normal for them to make changes while in production, but nothing has been normal for the past year and a half.

In the US, we get a $550 credit for the missing HK.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Because you ordered the top trim level, your SE probably has Park Assist, which requires the front and rear parking sensors. Had you ordered a lower-level trim without Park Assist, the chip-shortage would have robbed you of the rear parking sensors that were formerly "standard" on all trim levels.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Not 100%. My build sheet doesnt have option 507, but another ordered by the dealer that should be in the same shipment does.

BayFront likes this.
  9. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I picked up my 2022 SE two months ago. My motoring advisor found mine at the docs in New Jersey, and it had one of the last HK's before the chip shortage. I've always been quite pleased with the HK (had one in my four previous Mini's). I guess some motoring advisors work harder than others.

10. cmdonnell

cmdonnell Member

We ordered ours on 8/28 and the dealer said that they had just started putting the HKs back in the Iconic trim and we’re. I longer offering the discount (we would have taken it if it was an option. Our car just got built 9/28 so isn’t here in NJ yet, but we’ll see if the HK made it. If it does have it you’re welcome to come over to New Jersey and swap it out. ;)

11. Thank you very much, everybody. We ordered our Mini SE last 17 Jun and it arrived in country last 15 Sep. The dealer told us HK problems started Jul. Anyways we cannot wait for the HK chips to be sorted out as the Govt rebate is only until this Dec or until the fund rounds out. And we got everything we wanted in the Mini Yours trim except for the HK.

The dealer tells me there is now a 6 month backlog on orders.

The Mini SE is still a great car, really glad for it to be our very 1st Mini and EV.

NewGreen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Dirka

Dirka New Member

Hi all! Quick question -

Im in the same spot, got the SE LVL3/Iconic without the HK speakers BUT was thinking of going with Bavsound - https://www.bavsound.com

Does your Mini SE LVL3 have the same speaker layout even though the HK's aren't in there?

Trying to sort out the right purchase path -
    Go with the HK replacements - https://www.bavsound.com/pages/build-your-kit?step=3
    OR go with the Base Audio -
    https://www.bavsound.com/pages/build-your-kit?step=3

Thought was, if the pillars are there for the HK's but empty, then I can just get the HK swap out and a 360 watt amp, call it a day, if not then I have to go with the "Base Audio" setup.

Thanks in advance!

14. notalk

notalk New Member

Why do you think the Harman Kardon sound system is only speakers?

15. Dirka

Dirka New Member

The only difference between the two would be the speakers and the amp no? The head unit used is identical isn't it?
    Either way -
    The Bavsound swap out has a set for HKs and standard, just not sure which one to go with at this time.

16. Greencarguy

Greencarguy New Member

So do none of the new mini SE have the HK sound system? My build that I signed off on said HK premium sound system. I wouldn’t have gone with the signature plus trim if it didn’t have it.

17. @Dirka, my order included an HK, according to the dealership due to chip shortages, my SE arrived without. Without the HK, you will not have the holes in the front pillars for the tweeters nor have the holes at the back doors. You do have the hole on top of the dash where another HK speaker is suppose to go to. And there will be no amp inside the rear panel housing the left rear lamps. Nor will there be any subwoofer under the seats.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. @Greencarguy, the HK are on the Iconic trim for the US, L3 in the UK, and the MINI Yours trim here in NZ. Unfortunately due to chip shortages, BMW decided to take out the HK without notifying dealership nor customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. Dirka

Dirka New Member

Perfect, ok I'll just order the updated speaker set for the stock sound.

Thank you!

20. Greencarguy

Greencarguy New Member

So I received my car without the HK system. It does look like the hole and speaker cover are there for the center speaker. I wonder if there is a way to get the HK installed at a later date?

21. You also need the speaker hole on the front right and left pillars, and the speaker holes for the right and left back.