Some questions about the Niro EV

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by LegoZ, May 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Unfortunately our 2016 soul EV met the back end of a Chevy transverse and it looks as if it will end up getting totaled.

We would like some opinions from owners on the Niro.
    We were looking at the EV6 GT-line RWD and Ioniq 5 limited RWD but it is too difficult to get and have crazy “market adjustments” on them.

Some questions about the Niro EV:
    For those that have them I have charged on electrify America are you billed at the 1-90kw or the 1-150 kW rate?

Overall how do you like the car? We’ve owned a Nero in the past and it was okay but definitely limited cargo in comparison to my Clarity.

Do you use the car on road trips and does it handle them relatively well even though it has fairly low charging speeds?

anything else you’d like to share?

This would potentially be my third car with a plug now I just want to make sure that I get it right in a trash car market.

1C7C04E4-12C8-4D02-9C78-7F0EE2690C16.jpeg 425CAF8A-DC2E-47DC-8543-87B547689F02.jpeg 1D25D63E-AC49-411A-A8AF-A0C5588FE066.jpeg 5B33E9C5-9502-4626-87AC-7CD4CAA0B03A.jpeg 5D64B523-F695-4998-A23E-54B420DD6337.jpeg

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CBOW

CBOW New Member

I like my 2019 Niro EV EX Premium a lot and find it a pleasure to drive. I have charged at Electrify America, but the rates you ask about are for Texas and where I am in California, we have only one rate, currently $.43/kWh for Guest and Pass Members instead of the per minute rates you apparently have. Looking on the app I see that most states appear to have the same pricing rates as California. I haven't done many road trips so I can't comment much about charging speeds but have found the relatively slow charging speed annoying but tolerable. Cargo space is certainly limited, but is, I believe, better than the Hyundai Kona and back seat room is definitely better than the Kona. I do find that my driving range seems better than the EPA rated 239 mi, especially if I keep my highway speed in the 65-70 mph range. I've had no significant mechanical issues with car.

jeff_h, ITown and LegoZ like this.
  4. ITown

ITown Active Member

I also drive a 2019 Niro EV EX and your summary matches exactly my opinions/experience with the car.

LegoZ and jeff_h like this.
  5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

We test drove it and can get it for MSRP so while the value proposition is kind of rough when you directly compare it to MSRP of the EV6 GT-line or Ioniq5 limited RWD models the truth is they are all but unicorns at this point and not easily obtainable enough to even be something to compare. I have my loan app in with my credit union (too much difference in rate to go with dealer) so hopefully it all works out. This one is a 2022 EX Premium in Galaxy Blue.
    AD3B131C-545A-4390-A2B3-4E4DF2525FCB.jpeg

6. If you can get one, that's a real plus compared to the feeding frenzy around the EV6. I suspect you will find the Niro a step up in comfort from the Soul - and it has real capacity with the rear seats down.

I charge at home, so I can't speak to EA rates of charge.

I will say that in warmer weather, with the AC and seat ventilation running I exceed 200 miles range on the highway.

LegoZ likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Yep hopefully my credit union can move fast on financing, I am $7500 short for being able to pay cash which really sucks LOL too bad the refreshed program with $7500 rebate at time of purchase didn’t go through lol

9. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I was able to get it! I am loving it and love the cargo cover storage area in the subtrunk. Also I am trying to figure out a frunk already lol.

D7A2D414-A9D0-4E43-97A3-B75F3209CA22.jpeg B1723A8C-D9B2-454A-8D27-1A326D7AC425.jpeg EF810714-82BA-4FDA-B544-7427CB8C5B3E.jpeg

BarryP likes this.
  10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Congrats on your purchase. The Niro EV is addictive.
    Here’s my view on some of you questions:
    I’m looking at
    Sam's Club 8277 - Westworth Village, TX

6760 Westworth Blvd , Westworth Village, TX 76114

1. For Pass+members it’s $0.12/min for 1-90kW. When you sign up, you will tell them your car is a Niro. Furthermore it will never go over 77KW. So you will get charged $0.12/min. Which BTW, works to about $0.12/kWhr when the Niro is charging fast. The price encourages you to stop charging at 80% since it slows way down. As a comparison, the BOLT EV will charge at 50kW which is equiv to $0.14/kWhr.

Now if you had an EV6, then it will hit 234kW and EA will automatically charge $0.24/min ($0.062/kWhr).

2. Overall, we love the Niro EV. The passengers are more comfortable in it than our 2009 Prius. It’s quieter than our Prius. Way more power. Better speaker system.

3. Our road trips are <300 miles; Idaho Falls to Boise or SLC. It does take us 45 minutes longer than using our Prius. Since the Niro EV is more comfortable, we take the Niro and take naps or jog at charging stations. And it’s great using free chargers every now and then.

4. In town in the summer, we get 4.8 m/kWhr on the dash readout. This translates to 4.5m/kWhr when counting charging inefficiencies (“wall to wheels”). On the interstate at 74mph we get 3.0 m/kWr. If going against a 45 mile/hour head wind, then we drop to 2.5 m/kWhr. I would have liked the EV6 because of faster charging but I couldn’t justify an extra $10k.

-Barry

LegoZ likes this.