Some objective noise level readings

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Feb 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I’m not sure how accurate it is, but I have a free app on my iPhone called “Decibel X”.

Today I used it to get some sound level readings. I did them at about 45 mph on relatively smooth, but wet, asphalt. Phone held at about eye level.

First, my 2005 (very noisy) Element in 5th gear:

[​IMG]

(I think the most meaningful number is the 81.4db average.)

Then, I did the same with the Clarity in EV. Result: 77.2db average.

Then, in HV with the engine running: 78.8db average.

I could not try HV CHARGE mode due to my battery state.

If I ever hit a long grade and hear the engine straining (moderately annoyed bees) I’ll try to check that as well. Or, God forbid, the much dreaded angry variety!

Anyway, to my understanding the decibel scale is logarithmic, meaning small db differences actually reflect a much larger difference in perceived sound level. Maybe one of the engineer/math types can run the above numbers and see what they mean on a percentage basis.

markc and KentuckyKen like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KClark

KClark Active Member

Yes, the scale is logarithmic. I drove from Los Angeles to St. George Utah last weekend, there are a couple of very steep and long grades on I 15. Pushing my clarity with three adults in the car going up those grades at 75 miles an hour created what I would call not angry bees but angry leaf blowers. To its credit our clarity didn’t slow down and had no problem handling the grade, it just sounded very sad while doing it.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks @Fast Eddie B, that’s a great app to have. Just downloaded and it’s so sensitive that it picks up my breathing in a quiet house. Can’t wait to measure in the car. While it’s not calibrated to an absolute value (has capability though), it would be extremely useful for all of us on the forum to compare relative dBs, especially when the angry or even moderately aggravated bees show up. As @craze1cars has mentioned, this might take some of the subjectivity out of the reports of noisy engines.

Let the measurements begin.
    From a lay perspective, could we all agree to hold our phones at right side ear level, microphone pointed forward so we can standardize the results?
    Also could you add what phone you used. (It’s also a good excuse to finally clean out the lint from your microphone, speakers and charging port.)

5. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

Are all the states of the car going to have associated Bees now?

EV - slumbering bees
    normal ICE RPMs - content bees
    high ICE RPMs - annoyed bees
    unexplained ICE "runaway" - angry bees

NorCalPete, Pegsie, Sandroad and 3 others like this.
  6. Might I suggest...

EV - slumbering bees - Bee Factor 0
    normal ICE RPMs - Bee Factor 1
    high ICE RPMs - Bee Factor 2
    unexplained ICE "runaway" - angry bees - Bee Factor 3

With associated icons, of course...

[​IMG]

oddhack likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Some people report "angry bees" without having a way to determine the RPMs that represent this infamous classification. Many say that "angry bees" are simply the car performing normally in stressful situations (ie. high ICE RPMs ~4,500 RPM). Others believe they're hearing runaway mayhem. Has anyone yet confirmed this computer-controlled engine has hit even 5,000 RPM?

I'm at a disadvantage, never having heard the angry bees myself in nearly 15 months of driving our Clarity. However, if I was one of the people who hear the "angry bees" frequently, I'd buy an OBDII scanner and download Decibel X so I could report what engine speeds produce specific levels of noise coming from under the hood. I cannot imagine any other way to standardize the classification of Clarity engine speeds.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Ray B likes this.
  9. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I have multiple OBDC scanning devices. I happen to also be a professional audio person, so I can measure sound. I'll see what I can come up with...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

10. ab13

ab13 Active Member

You need to make sure it's set to dBA mode. That is the scale used for sound relative to the human hearing.

11. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Just noticed that the free version of DecibleX only allows the Z frequency weighting. To get the A you have to buy the premium version for $7.99

14. I found a calculator online to see what percentage difference is reflected by a certain dB change.

https://www.redwirez.com/pcalc.jsp

If I’m using it right, the engine running normally adds 20% to the overall sound level at 45mph. I suspect it’s less at higher road speeds where wind and road noise become a larger factor.

And my Element is 62% louder than the Clarity on EV.

Again, if I’m doing it right. Maybe David in TN can spot me on this.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  15. It looks like that requires a $2.99/month subscription, which seems kinda rich.

16. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I have a stand-alone hand-held decibel meter that is factory calibrated to be fairly accurate. Using it in the Clarity, I’ve been able to determine the primary source of noise in the car is tire tread on road surface. “Road noise” has always plagued Hondas and the Clarity is no exception. However, give the car a very smooth pavement and it’s very quiet. That accentuates engine noise when it fires up. The engine noise in my car has never been objectionable, but I admit I’m still getting used to having engine RPMs non-linear with the accelerator. Bottom line for me; when it comes time for new tires, quietness will be a critical parameter.

Decibels are an extremely difficult measurement to interpret because of the scale. It takes a great deal of explanation and experience to use a scale where the numbers are so disconnected from what’s experienced. I find it’s not even worth reporting raw numbers, but I like the comparison @Fast Eddie B did with his Element and also the idea from @insightman to directly compare sound pressure levels at different ICE RPMs.

17. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I have a free app on my phone... It is from audio-technica, called 'installed sound support'. It has a signal analyzer (breaks out the frequencies), upper right hand corner gives dBa.

dBa comparisons to other vehicles is a very good start. There is also the OSHA recommendations to stay below 80 dBa.

I can understand why some people might call it 'angry bees' when you hit 2000 rpm sitting at a stop sign: It is surprising, and embarrassing when you have passengers in the car.

I have found HV mode management can keep the rpm's at 'expected' levels.

I have not seen over 5000 rpm, and I have dozens of hours of OBDII records over 70 mph. High 4K rpm's is loud.

KentuckyKen and insightman like this.
  18. Thanks. I’ll download that and maybe run some more tests when able.

19. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

I think I just have the free versions, but some time back, I liked Sound Tools or AudioControl by Studio Six Digital (iPhone). The sound pressure level (SPL) meter is a separate app from the real time analyzer (RTA, spectral analysis, Rta Lite is free).

20. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Insightman

Just curious...what is your best guess as to the RPM's the Clarity you drive exhibits?

I'd love to see you collect some OBDll data to know exactly what your RPM range is. The data from your car might help pin down what is "normal" for the Clarity. Often times, people are more comfortable when comparisons can be made...hence the popularity of the "what price did you pay" threads.

We are trying to not only determine what constitutes "angry bees" but also what is the norm...all good info for the consumer to have don't you think?

Keep us posted.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I keep thinking it's a day to early to buy a ScanGauge because the company will update it the next day. Our ICE started up when the temperature went way below zero, but it wasn't racing. I'd guess 2,000 RPM. Otherwise it's quiet because all our driving is within EV range.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  22. ab13

ab13 Active Member

23. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

My Clarity went to 4000 RPM maybe 3 times for reasons unknown on flat terrain.
    I have never seen it go over that.
    It mostly runs somewhere around 2000 RPM and in the 3000's to catch up on the charge.
    4000 or over will be noticed by you and your passengers.
    It's not hurting anything, but its also not a well-polished sound.
    Harsh, thrashy, and grating are how I would describe this pooch singing near it's horsepower peak.
    As stated by others, the perception is probably more due to the disassociation between the driver intended accelerator input and engine speed/load.
    In other words, if the same engine was driving a 5 speed manual and I was winding out third gear wide open to pass someone, I might think the engine sounded fine.

Mark W and insightman like this.