SOLO - a BEV for the individualist

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, Sep 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Since it was an Arizona based company, I had been following the ELIO very closely for several years. Even went to see it in person when the prototype came to the Tucson Mall. Very interesting 3 wheel ICE concept with a $8,500 price point.

After ELIO began to fade off into the Arizona sunset, and my interest learned more toward BEV, I began following the development of the SOLO. Photos below.

However, when MINI produced the SE and I could obtain a real car for a net of $22,500, I decided that the $18,500 price of the SOLO did not sound nearly as attractive.

The SOLO goes on sale next month, so it will be interesting to see if it can actually generate a following.

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy and F14Scott like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I sat in one at that mall. It was pretty cool, but I couldn't help but wonder who this is for. Introverted eco-conscious Polaris Slingshot owners?

The Smart fortwo electric seems like a better city car, but who knows, maybe the Solo will turn out to be more fun.

4. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I, too, watched the ELIO with interest. But, for twice the price and half the seats, the SOLO seems way overpriced.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It looks like the third coming of the 1999 Corbin Sparrow.

upload_2021-9-22_21-44-23.png

GvilleGuy likes this.
  6. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

3 wheel cars are just a regulatory loophole to get out of crash testing and safety standards... With all the giant trucks around, that's not something I would risk my life with!

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Sparrow?! More like a shoebill stork, am-I-right?
    Screenshot_20210922-211153_DuckDuckGo.jpg

GvilleGuy and insightman like this.
  9. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I had completely forgotten about the Sparrow. I would agree on the crash worthiness or lack thereof.

Would this be considered a flock of Sparrows or a clutch?

IMG_4065.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy likes this.