Sold my junk XC40 Recharge after 3 months

Discussion in 'XC40 Recharge' started by John Kim, Sep 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. John Kim

John Kim Member

I finally had enough, I traded in my XC40 Recharge yesterday. Chip shortage is driving the the resale value on the electric and plug-in hybrid, and to my surprise XC40 Recharge sale value was pretty high, still loss on my end. I do expect that I will break even after Federal tax deduction.

At ~80 miles infotainment system got stuck in reloading screen and got reset to factory default and lost driver side navigation view.
    At~120 miles stuck in “Guest profile” and requires full reload of Software.
    At ~580 miles AC stopped working.
    At~640 miles, looks like June update happen to car and YouTube music and few other apps stop working.
    At ~740 miles just shut down and restarted in middle of driving.
    At ~1140 miles shut down and restarted in middle of driving again.
    At ~1500 miles shut down again.
    At ~1800 miles charging port stuck in Green.
    At ~2220 miles IHU replaced, AC issue is not fixed. Volvo think that replacing IHU will fix the Air Condition.
    At ~2250 miles same day that IHU was replaced reboot again.
    At ~2412 IHU was replaced again and complete FW update directly from factory. This seems to fix the issue with infotainment system reboot.

At ~2650 on XC40 AC stopped blowing cold air. I think something went wrong from cabin temperature sensor.
    After few day, AC started working again, trade this junk to another car. 3 months nightmare is finally over!

Overall ownership experience, XC40 Recharge is totally junk- Volvo service is awful, dealers do not know how to support this.
    Thank you chip shortage! I managed to resale the car and about to break even with Federal tax credit. I will never buy another Volvo and never buy anything from Sandberg Volvo car in Lynnwood, WA.

Falcon73 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Joe P

Joe P New Member

Hey John Kim, I totally understand your disappointment. For us many problems, but nothing like losing AC. Phones don't stay connected, so we have to connect manually each time. Google doesn't understand many times and is pretty useless. Hopefully a charge timer is coming soon. We got a notice just now about a software update, so we'll install tonight and see if it has a charge timer. The car looks nice and drives well, but pretty much everything else is frustrating.

4. John Kim

John Kim Member

I started a Lemon law claim against Volvo USA after I sold the XC40 at loss. Apparently, there is provision in the lemon law allowing me to file a claim. I hired the Lemon law attorney and I won. The end-to-end process took less than 2 months, I got my settlement check from Volvo!

It didn’t cost me anything, Volvo also pay for cost of Lawyer.

Helio Vitor Vaisman and Falcon73 like this.
  5. We have had our share of issues with the XC40 (P8), but it's been working ok for a while now, except for those incredibly jarring false REB activations. *knock on wood*

However, my new Volvo C40 as of 2/5 is not off to a good start. It's been in the shop more than I've had it. The AC stops working when the outside temp is too hot. Go figure! The driver map also had to be fixed, but I plan on driving it to Palm Desert frequently, so optional AC is not an option!

In my case, the dealer has been great, but the $4,000 ADM for a car I haven't been able to use is starting to annoy me as well.

6. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

Is your XC40 Recharge a 2021 model? Or, a 2022?

From what I saw, the '22 looks better than the '21. But, damn! If these problems have carried over, not going to be buying a Volvo anytime soon.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It's a '21. It's a P8. The '22's are called Recharge Twin from what I've seen. Ours is leased, but it's an excess car now so we are trying to get out of it.

TonyInGA likes this.
  9. Hi all. I’m about 2 months in on a 2022 Recharge Twin and loving it. There are / have been a few software anomalies we expect will be resolved with future updates but the performance, range and comfort far outweigh any minor challenges with software. This is our second EV, our 2018 Nissan Leaf has had some similar hiccups as well; we figure we are pioneering the next generation of transportation and living through change.

electriceddy likes this.