Software Update question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MSimpsonNJ, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Sorry if this has been asked and answered or discussed, but I'm at the dealer getting my first free service (5000 miles) on my 2020 Kona purchased on February 5th 2021 and it's tough to properly research on my phone. Both the battery and the vehicle were manufactured after March 3 2020. They are doing two updates and I'm just curious if anyone knows what they are/what to expect:

KONA EV INSPECT & BMS UPDATE(21-01-008H)
    Comments: Comments: T5V -
    And
    KONA EV VCULDC SOFTWARE UPDT(21-01-019H)
    Comments: Comments: T6C -

Thanks in advance

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Well I had the above done, and so far the only thing I noticed different (and was expected) is that my GOM was reset to a nice neat 258 (even though I was at 90%). Everything else seems just as it was when I left it, including default regens for eco, normal, and sport. The tires were rotated but sounded the same (not surprising). Service manager was friendly and helpful, though when I asked him about the battery recalls he told me that the batteries weren't being recalled and he started to explain to me how the battery is a giant battery and needs a special lift and that they have replaced a few but they weren't being recalled. I didn't bother trying to stop him though I did make it clear that I was not talking about my battery since it is outside of the recall window. Didn't matter - he just reiterated that there were no battery recalls....

4. Correct. For your model are no recalls. However, some of the battery software updates (the ones that you mentioned were done on your car) are to monitor the battery better than before (and possibly other things we don't know about). So I would assume that is reason enough to also apply the update to your car even though your battery is not faulty.

5. Shark

Shark Active Member

I'm in New Jersey too. Which dealer is telling you this?

6. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Burns Hyundai in Marlton. I like them, they're good so far, but haven't hadn't to really deal with anything yet. Not sure if he was confused or being confusing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Eugene G Philipenko

Eugene G Philipenko New Member

Did you ever find out what those software updates were about?