Software and Map Updates for North American Cars

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by CanuckTom, Oct 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

Hi Everyone,

I bought my Niro back in June here in Ontario Canada and can't say enough great things about the car. Unfortunately through some research I have been doing about the navigation system I have discovered that my car, although delivered around 6 months ago, has software and maps that are almost 2 years old now.

I have bee searching online for a place to get the software and map updates and have discovered that in Europe and in the US these updates are provided for free for the first 5 years of ownership (like UVO Subscription) and can be downloaded online and updated by the owner at home. Unfortunately in Canada I have been told my by dealer that this is not the case here, we must purchase the software and map updates and they cost a mere $150 US! Per update! That's crazy!

When I bought my car I asked about software and map updates specifically because I knew that particularly in Ontario we are still at the bleeding edge of the EV industry and that this car was VERY new to market. I was told that because the car was connected, the maps and software would be updated automatically - I now know this is absolutely not the case! I have contacted my dealer and will be contacting Kia directly because I definitely feel that this is a major issue for our cars especially, and puts Kia way out of wack with their competition (cough: Tesla). And as an EV driver updates to chargers in the navigation specifically, is , as very important. As well software updates to the BMS and operating system are clearly going to come forward as Kia/Hyundai learn more about how these cars perform and how the systems hold up over time.

This all said, I have very little faith that my complaint and suggestion is going to turn the very large ship that is Kia Canada to change their perspective on this, so I am looking to see if there are any owners in the US who have updated their software and maps and may be willing to "share" their "experience" with us and perhaps help out some owners north of the border.

Currently my car is on software and maps v12.5 and the newest version out is v13.5.

Thanks!
    CanuckTom

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

Can you provide some more info on where to download the map updates in the US? I bought my Niro EV in June as well, and my map version is 12.4.xxx, so even older than your's. The only place I can find to download the map update wants to charge me $145 if I download and install myself, and another $30 if I want them to send me a new SD card. I logged into my UVO account, and don't see an option to download there either.

4. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

Your map software is actually newer than what I have, the software version you mention is actually v13 software and maps, where as mine is v12.5. There is another update that just rolled out I believe in September and it's now v13.5. So you're really only out one version.

I am looking to find a place to download the software in question and have found the same source as you which is very expensive if I'll be doing it twice a year to stay current.

I've opened a ticket with Kia Canada and we'll see what they say, but I have just found out that the Lina's sold in Canada have free updates through the Hyundai-gpsmap website for their first 5 years .. so I'm quite disappointed at the moment with Kia.

5. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

FYI, the software updates that you are able to download and install yourself are just for the infotainment and navigation system. Software updates for the instrument cluster and most other important functions of the car can only be performed by the dealer using custom software. Those should be free if/when actually released as part of the warranty. I wouldn't hold by breath. Maybe at some point we'll get the instrument cluster update that was released for the Kona early this year in Europe. So far, my dealer has offered zero updates for my USA Niro purchased in May.

6. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

I just paid US$145 for the update plus US$30 for the media (SD card). Whoever tokd you updates were free down here was misinformed ..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

I've considered just buying the update, but I've just found out that Hyundai Kona owners are getting the promised 5 years of free updates .. seeing as the software and maps are the same between cars, it's disappointing at least that Kia isn't doing the same as its corporate brother... Also, when my sales rep told me updates would be free for 5 years, this is really a hard pill to swallow to pay that much for updates.

9. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

I find it interesting, considering that they are corporate siblings, that Kia's promotion/support of the Niro EV is relatively non-existent compared to Hyundai's of the Kona. My Kia dealer, the largest in Maryland, is clueless about the car. I went in to have them do the nav update, and they sent me to the website. To their credit, though, they did send me a cool coupon for an oil change... ;)

10. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

So I just had an interesting phone call from my Kia dealer in regards to my question of why Kia wasn't offering the same 5 years of free updates for their maps, and my rep from the dealership said that Kia Canada told her that "2020 model year cars forward, as well as, 2018 and up Stinger's would have free map and software updates for 10 years!, But that the 2019 Niro was not included in this offer."

So now I really wanna know, What the HELL Kia! This is truely terrible customer support for customers helping to develop their newest segment, and likely future revenue stream..

Daniel Hall likes this.
  11. ScottyR

ScottyR New Member

This is a concerning thread. Seems like typical auto maker issues. It's this kind of thing that has me looking at the Tesla Model 3. Not sure if they have these kind of issues or not, but I'm guessing not.

I suppose a workaround is just using Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

12. To remove this ad click here.