Smoke detector for the garage?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Kia Guy, Jul 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

So, this is only loosely related to my Kia Niro EV.

All these fires (Kona, Bolts) are causing me concern as my daughter's bedroom is directly above my garage which I park and charge my Niro in nightly.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for fire/smoke detection in a garage setting. I don't have any pre-existing connections for a fire alarm, so I am thinking a battery-operated detector would do the trick, but is there a way to connect a battery-operated detector to the rest of my house's alarms?

Not sure where else to ask this, so I appreciate input despite the tenuous relation to the car.

Thanks!

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I imagine you could put one there, it might be subject to nuisance trips if it is shared with an ICE car. I think they make heat detectors also that might be useful
    They make detectors now that are wirelessly connected

4. Assuming the existing hardwired smoke and or smoke/carbon monoxide alarms in your home use the third wire for communication, you can change one unit to a (wireless communication) hardwired type. This type will use the 3rd communication (hardwired) to set off all other alarms as well as communicate using RF signal with a battery (wireless communication) operated compatible one which you will install into the garage.
    Just be aware all are the same manufacture (such as Kiddie) and there are 4 different types.
    The first is ionization smoke detection which we have been using for many years ( detects smoke particles using atomic weight as they pass through the chamber- they will have have a radiation label warning on them - most use Americium- very sensitive - good for bedrooms)
    The second type of smoke alarm is less sensitive (photoelectric) detects the particles by light as they pass through the chamber. This is the one you want to use in your garage as a battery powered (wireless communication) type.
    Also be aware there may be Co2 detection on your existing alarms as well, so be sure to read the type that you will be replacing in your home.
    In the trade we call the 4 types io, photo, - smoke detection only types and io/co and photo/co - combination types .
    Here is an example of a type of alarm showing the wireless communication with a simple explanation (note this one is ionization) I will leave the search for a photoelectric similar type for you:

https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/products/fire-safety/smoke-alarms/rf-sm-acdc/

Seeing as you do not own a Kona EV, a sprinkler system should not be required:D
    Hope that helps.

mho and Kia Guy like this.