Smart charger or not?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Jay1974, Mar 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jay1974

Jay1974 New Member

Is the hyundai app (bluelink?) or on board scheduling good enough for charging my ioniq 5? I'm considering a home charger like the grizzl e or a smart charger like chargepoint home flex or juice box? They are more expensive but have apps that control scheduling, usage etc. Id like to maintain my 20% to 80% and only charge at night.

What do you use for charging? Do you schedule times or just plug it in and let it go?

Thanks for your help and advice.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I'm in the same boat, Jay. After a lot of online research, I bought an AmazingE+. It's a dumb charger, but it's portable. I'm hoping my I-5 will be able to be enough to program my sessions. The AmazingE+ will be arriving next week and the I-5 is supposed to reach the dealership March 25. I'm excited to get behind the wheel!

4. BobS

BobS Active Member

Any "dumb" charger will do what you want, the charge times and max charge level are controlled in the Ionic 5.
    I charge between 11:00 Pm and 7:00 PM. If you want to fully charge in 8 hours you need a level 2 32 amp charger. I purchased this one from Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07THBGGMG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

ScubaSteve likes this.
  5. BobS

BobS Active Member

You do not need the Blue Link App

ScubaSteve likes this.
  6. BobS

BobS Active Member

You can also set how much you want the battery to charge in the Ioniq set up (80% for example)

ScubaSteve likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Roger Horenr

Roger Horenr New Member

One consideration is most smart charging stations will work with demand response programmes but I doubt if the onboard charger will be able to that. Depending on how much of a discount the hydro company gives you for participating, that could be a significant factor.

9. [​IMG] 20220326_162303.jpg
    That is a nice charger. I considered a charger like that after a huge price jump on Chargepoint ( https://smile.amazon.com/ChargePoint-Home-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B07WXZDHGV/ref=rtpb_sp_bmx_dp_qd4ua30o_5/130-5285388-0590665?pd_rd_w=KbNby&pf_rd_p=407a4dc8-ebaf-45b1-b787-5323644998e0&pf_rd_r=3PNSVQ93H9RANBP1YZT5&pd_rd_r=3da5bdb3-490d-4773-898e-6b1ec043f375&pd_rd_wg=jwxNr&pd_rd_i=B07WXZDHGV&psc=1) prices skyrocketed from $700 to nearly $1000.

Fortunately, I found one vendor selling these for $700. https://www.cityelectricsupply.com/chargepoint-cph50-nema6-50-l23-16a-50a-nema-6-50-plug-70104-mm-23-charging-cable?utm_term=&utm_campaign=802:+Smart+Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=3560235644&hsa_cam=14819293815&hsa_grp=130714285151&hsa_ad=549225524333&hsa_src=u&hsa_tgt=pla-1819444672552&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8_qRBhCXARIsAE2AtRZGHY4fcCOakjgleqdhSYJapRC0NOlsLs0PW7HHas_JBgTqt5c8vtsaAmY9EALw_wcB

If you live in Georgia and want a Chargepoint, check this place:

https://georgiapowermarketplace.com/chargepoint-home-flex-level-2-ev-charger-w/-nema-6-50,-23-ft-cable/I-CHARGFLEX-01-PGIN-0650-V1.html

I know not everyone wants a chargepoint charger, but if that is your choice the links will help.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  10. My Ioniq is supposed to arrive next week, and I too am trying to get ready. My power company has a discount for EV owners during non-peak hours from 9:00PM to 5:00AM, and I need to be sure I have a system that can handle that with minimum complications. Will the onboard Ioniq charging handle doing this every night at the same time without having to program it each time? No point in buying a $700 smart charger if a $300 one will work as well. I have driven a Clarity for three years and love it, but I'm ready to move up to full electric.

11. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

I've had my I5 for a month now and am still figuring things out. There's a whole lot to learn. I've purchased a Level 2 'smart' charger (Emporia Energy EV Charger) and am currently waiting fir my electrician to install the 240V NEMA 16-50 receptacle that it requires. It was $400 from Amazon and claims to do everything everyone is looking for. I could have gone with the ChargePoint or JuiceBox chargers and gotten a $300 tax rebate from Massachusetts but it would be this time next year before I saw that so I decided to give the less expensive Emporia a try. I end up with the same amount of money out of pocket if it works as advertised.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in most forums is that the I5 comes with 1000kW hours of free charging from Electrify America. That's the big thing keeps me going right now. The 120V Level 1 charger just isn't fast enough - 88 hours to full charge doesn't work for me and I'm retired without much of a schedule. But 20 - 30 minutes to an 80% charge from 20% makes a big difference.

twospirits likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Crash

Crash Member

I thought the I5 EA plan is unlimited 30-minute charges for 2 years (or 3 if a reservation holder). Think the EV6 promotion was the 1000kW.

14. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

Crash, the original I5 EA OFFER WAS FOR 250Kw hours of EA charging, not the 1000 I stated. The 1000 was for the Kia EV 6. Some time in March Hyundai changed the offer to what you describe, which is a much better option. In a month I’ve already burned through 287 Kw hours, traveling to and from Maine every week. I received a brochure from Hyundai yesterday that details the new EA offer. Unlimited 30 minute DC charging sessions for 2 years is very generous.

I got confused about the Kia and Hyundai plans because my original intention was to buy an EV6. I had negotiated a deal with my local dealer but wanted to sleep on it overnight. The next day the sales manager informed me that they were adding $4000 to the price because of “inventory shortages”. I walked out, went to the nearest Hyundai dealer and bought my I5 SEL.

15. michael-in-raleigh

michael-in-raleigh New Member

stop looking for an i5-suitable wall charger!

i bought three from Amazon, one at a time, looking for a max charge rate
    the first was $525, California company, they were made in China, with a great English-speaking cust service rep
    EV Gear = great company, nice looking box, but it would fail in 2-3 mins at max rate, fail in 45-60 mins at 'reduced' rate, which is the medium setting on your dash.
    Kan worked with me on the phone a couple times, with immediate f/up in email, for about 4-5 days with no change, then special-delivery-ied (sp) another new charger, but no joy.
    on high rate, i would get 6 red blinks almost immediately, on both boxes
    on medium rate, i would get 5 red blinks after maybe an hour (sounds like heat build-up, right? but nothing ever felt more than lukewarm)
    on 'minimal rate, it would run all night at 3.7kw
    because it had to run all night long, the entire night, for a full charge

reluctantly, i offered to pay for the shipping back for the one he sent me... because he's such a helpful guy
    omg! $60+ cheapest rate at UPS, and then returned the original to Amazon
    Kan mentioned that it might be a circuit issue, since both boxes failed to get more than 3.7kw, on a brand-new 40amp 14/50 circuit in a brand-new house

i said "nah, i paid a licensed/bonded electrician nearly $600 for a great job here in Raleigh" and then i didn't think another thing about it

Second choice came a couple of days later, and it had an led screen with adjustable output levels for $450, but it errored out immediately with an ERR:Reset

and the chinese-based cust serv folks took 4 days to ponder this over, so i just sent it back to Amazon

BUT... i started to think "maybe Kan was right, it might be the ckt"

and then the chinese guys came back with "twist the big red Stop Charge button", but i had already returned it (twist a big recessed rounded button, ffs)

next... bought a 14/50 220 plug-in ckt tester and it's perfect!

and promptly took a chance on Emporium Electric $400 charger, with 4 multi-colored leds and a wifi app!

what a difference! large-type all-English 14 page well-designed booklet about the app and how to run all the features, but the charger itself, wow!

huge, almost unwieldy, charging cables, horrendously thick, maybe
    easily more than an inch thick from the 220 outlet to the box, and about half again thicker to the car than the other two chargers' cables.
    they're really hard to bend and untwist... but omg, is it fast!

it's true... bigger girth is better!

too good to be true, really... 9.9 to 10kw, which is our max charge rate

it ran for about 3.5 hours at full speed today, all the way to 80%

all for $399...

i'm just shocked

edit: let me figure out how to add photos to an already-written post... ya gotta see these cables!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  16. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

I have an Emporia sitting on the floor in my office, waiting for my electrician to install the 240v line.

17. michael-in-raleigh

you will love it!

18. Even

Even New Member

2 yrs unlimited 30 minute sessions for DC fast charge and unlimited 60 minute sessions for level 2 charges is what EA just told me when I signed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  19. Can't beat that...I was not aware of the L2 incentive, that could be handy in some circumstances;)

20. michael-in-raleigh

and that's through EA, right?

21. michael-in-raleigh

omg, of course it's EA
    you even mentioned EA

i didn't read all that you wrote because i was excited!

22. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

I'm still waiting for the electrician to show up and install my Emporia L2 charger. I've got about 10 days left on my return window to Amazon and I'm seriously considering shipping it back. Why?

#1. I changed the amperage setting on the Level 1 charger that comes with the ,I5 from 6A to 10A and it's made for a big jump in how quickly I can charge from a standard 110V outlet.

#2. I discovered a pair of free Level 2 chargers about a mile from my front door. It's in a parking lot of a small shopping center, not marked in any way and to top it off, the charging heads are actually Tesla's, but they have J1772 plugs on them. I gave one of them a try a few days ago and got a 28 mile charge in 60 minutes.
    IMG_1775.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

#3. As many of you are probably aware, in Europe Tesla has opening up their SuperCharger installations to other manufacturers. They are rolling this out slowly, but they'll get to the USA sooner or later. And that same shopping center that has the the free Level 2's has a SuperCharger station with 10 units. They're in a completely different section of the shopping area, so most people never get near the free units I stumbled on.

The three of these things combined cause me to wonder if I really need to go to the expense of installing a Level 2 charger.

The negatives are 1. the cost of shipping the Emporia back. It weighs something like 50 pounds and if I'm sending back just because I changed my mind Amazon is fully within their rights to require me to pay the shipping. 2. I live in one of the most popular tourist destinations in New England. The population increase in the summer is huge. Even if it's difficult to find those level 2 units, I'm not stupid enough to think that no one else will. But the summer season here is only 3 - 4 months long. Maybe I'd be better off spending the $1000 + anyway.

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've read forum members who regret their choice of a bad Level 2 EVSE, but none who regret having a Level 2 EVSE. You need one--especially with a 77-kWh battery to feed.

Rearrangeelectrons likes this.