Slowly getting to achieve goal of purchasing EV

Discussion in 'General' started by miatadan, May 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

As of next week my MasterCard will be at zero balance from balance of just under $5700 owed.

Now can start putting money aside towards an EV.

Do not miss the VW Jetta recently sold.

Drove the Mustang Mach-E today, was impressed

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

bwilson4web and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Anticipate a (happy new owner) picture soon:) Good for you.

4. Congratulations on your progress!

5. miatadan

Thanks everyone. Will most likely not ordering EV until fall or early 2022 . I really liked the Mach-E I drove but starting price of $50495 too expensive as no EV rebate

The Tesla Model 3 seems ideal as it is not SUV, crossover. Like the frameless windows, the RWD dynamics, good performance but all the articles here and other Tesla forums re: poor paint quality ( biggest issue ), body gaps etc makes me hesitate .

Always like Porsche, Audi but they out of my price range for EV's

Will reduce credit limit on credit card and avoid spending money on stuff I do not need but just wanted.

Dan

6. ITown

ITown Active Member

You can always go for the Niro EV. It's priced more affordably than the Model 3 (thanks to the tax credit), has pretty good interior room, fairly comfortable. Only cost me $32,000 after taxes, credits, and rebates. And I paid close to MSRP.

But if you really want a giant touchscreen, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Andre Laurence likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miatadan

In Canada the 2020 Niro EV, EX trim shows $44995 - no 2021 or 2022 model listed. For that money the 2021 BMW 330e is better vehicle, or the VW ID4 at same price. Least expensive EV new in Canada right now is the 2021 Mini Cooper SE.

9. ITown

ITown Active Member

Ah, my bad, did not realize you're in Canada. I'm not familiar with Canadian prices, but in the US the 330e costs around $6000 USD more than the Niro EV does, and doesn't qualify for the full tax credit in the US.

ID4 is pretty similar in price, but I haven't tried it out, so not sure how it compares. If you're shopping in that price range though, I think the Niro EV and ID4 are both decent choices.

10. Well done regarding your finances. Keep up the routine to put some money away and you will be driving an EV in no time.
    The Niro EV EX that was mentioned above is interesting, but the EX in Canada is missing many options that are in the more expensive SX, and some of them should be included like: the heat pump, heated steering and seats, battery heater, among many missing safety features. If you are targeting the 45,000$ CDN price then I would suggest the Kona Electric, or the Soul EV, but the base Soul EV has a smaller 38kWh battery at that price.
    As has been suggested above the VW ID.4 is another good choice, but be aware that it was designed to attract ICE owners to the EV world and the performace (accelleration) is not very EV-like. If snappy EV accelleration is something you find important then the ID.4 may not be for you.
    Regarding the Mini-E that was also mentioned, I would stay clear of it unless there is a full tech refresh because it uses very old EV technology from the BMW i3.
    With all of that being said, since you will be ready to make the jump to an EV in 2022 you have the added benefit of new EVs coming to market, battery cost drops, and price adjustments that will make EVs more affordable. Stay focused on your goal and you will be there in no time.

miatadan likes this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'd rephrase that as "tried-and-true". MINI seems to have one of the more efficient EV motors on the market. Granted it's not for everyone, and the range is lower than many want, but it consistently outperforms its range rating and actually has improved batteries over the original i3. Also it has a heat pump for helping with range, which not all EVs have.

Andre Laurence and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I suppose that is a better phrasing. I still think that even though there are some improvements over the i3, it is still based on tech from several years ago. I would opt to wait for a new Mini based on new EV architecture for better range. You are correct though, the i3 has a good battery with liquid cooling, so it is still good.

14. miatadan

Maybe because the Mini is using older EV architecture is that it is more affordable.

One problem for adoption of EV's is they need to be available at lower price levels. If they could more vehicles under $40,000 before the EV rebate , more sales

situation for prices here in Canada

2021 BMW i3 base model $44950
    2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT trim $44998
    2021 Kona Electric Essential $44999
    2021 Ioniq Electric Preferred $41599
    2020 Kia Nero EV EX. $44995
    2021 Kia Soul EV Premium. $42995
    2022 Mini Cooper SE Classic. $40990
    2021 VW ID 4 Pro $44995
    2021 Nissan Leaf SV 40KWH. $44298
    2021 Tesla Model 3 SR- 151km rang. $46389

Only listed models with $5000 EV rebate.
    Did not list the PHEV models as rebate is only $2500

Dan

electriceddy likes this.
  15. In Canada, only EVs with a base model price of $44,999 for 6 seats and less, or 55,000 for 7 seats and more, are eligible for the subsidy, with an upper trim limit price of $55,000 and 60,000 respectively.
    https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/innovative-technologies/zero-emission-vehicles#/find/nearest?country=CA

Not sure why there is any threshold at all. The whole point of the subsidy is to encourage EV adoption. An EV is an EV whether cheap or expensive. Both will help save our planet equally. Actually the more expensive ones even more, as the alternative expensive ICE vehicle will use even more fuel. So, if anything, the subsidy for more expensive EVs should be higher. But of course govts don't think that way.

miatadan likes this.
  16. If a person can afford a Porsche EV at 250,000$ then giving them a 5,000$ credit would be an insult to everyone who scrapes and saves to buy one worth 45,000$. Not only does the Porsche person not need the 5,000$ rebate, it would take it away from someone who really needs it.

17. I might add with the Canadian DC charging setup the way it is, we really will require the more expensive models with the larger battery packs. In winter the range is so reduced (and the speed) just to get to the next charger. EV adoption for long range travel requires that cap to be lowered;)
    If Ionic 5 is above that cap (which I sincerely feel it will) than I will probably not be alone with the decision not to buy one at this time.

mho likes this.
  18. The problem is much deeper than the list of EVs that you posted. In China there are comparable EVs at a fraction of the price, and I am not taking about Kei cars, I am taking about cars that just need to pass crash tests and are really comparable. The quality of EVs being built and sold in China is astounding and our local auto makers are in a world of hurt once they get approved here. Sandy Monro had a video about the subject.

19. I would not be insulted in the least, and yes I do have to scrape and save:(
    Personally I feel it should apply to all equally, Tesla included.

mho likes this.
  20. What I am saying it shouldn't be about what EV or who, but about supporting EV adoption overall. Like I said a cheap EV or an expensive one will help save the planet equally. Our taxation system already makes rich people pay more. In Canada, we will soon have a $100,000 threshold federal luxury vehicle tax. And that is on top of an existing luxury tax in BC, and I think some other provinces. And in Vancouver here, we have the highest per capita luxury vehicles in North America. So they are already raking it in here.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-a-magnet-for-luxury-car-owners-1.1347363

Rich people don't have to buy EVs, they have enough gas guzzling luxury ICE vehicles to choose from, at a lower price than the equivalent EV. So why shouldn't we also be trying to get them to buy EVs?

Plus inflation the way it is, a $100,000 car today is like a $50,000 car 10 years ago.

21. miatadan

Also manufactures need to make more affordable EV's. I do have to scape and save to have large enough deposit to keep monthly payment reasonable. After the $5000 rebate ( if in Ontario ) still $40000 not including Freight, Air tax etc.

Andre Laurence likes this.
  22. Earl

Earl Active Member

Unless you have bad luck and run around with a gap scale, measuring all of the panel joints, you'll most likely, never have a problem with a Tesla. I haven't seen any noticeable issues with Teslas. I just had my first service (other than one where the culprit was my antiquated iPhone) on my 2018 Model 3 after 104,000 miles. They preemptively replaced my 12-volt accessory battery and the mobile charging connector - at no cost to me. This took about 20 minutes and was done by a knowledgeable mobile technician. He arrived at my house in a Model S that had been outfitted with tool boxes as a mobile service vehicle.
    Tesla drivers, for the most part, are well supported and having a great time on the road.
    I've driven all over the USA and, with almost no exceptions, only see Teslas on the road. Why is this?
    Even in the most remote locations, there are Teslas using Supercharger stations. EA stations are always empty. Why?
    Don't take my word though. I might just be a Tesla Fanboi of which you've witnessed that I've been accused. Swing by the 3 DC Fast charge sessions in Sudbury and see for yourself.
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/248420
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/206413
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/138703
    Check out others around you (find them on plugshare.com).
    You might even ask the people you see at them what they think. Watch how long they spend there. They are, most likely people who don't waste time on forums trying to force their opinions on others or attacking them online.
    I'm sure you'd benefit by a non-Tesla EV, however, I don't recommend that you rule-out a Tesla just based on the hatred that you see around here. Most Tesla owners don't participate on non-Tesla forums. They're just driving around like with any other car.
    I do know one person who ordered a Model Y and found the car they brought him to have fit and paint problems. He rejected that car and they got him a different one. A quick inspection upon delivery is all it takes to see if you have a "friday afternoon build". I also understand that Tesla has learned to do a better job at catching cosmetic quality issues themselves.
    The biggest difference between a Tesla and other EVs is that Teslas are on parity with ICE as far as lifetime cost, convenience, and utility. With other EVs, you'll need an ICE for convenient long trips, especially winter ones. Unlike with ICE, where all function pretty much the same, with Teslas, despite the fight from the established car manufacturers, there is night and day difference between the efficiency, range, convenience, performance, safety, and charging infrastructure.

miatadan likes this.
  23. That depends on where you live, and where you want to go. In the province of Québec you can't turn a corner without running into a DCFC. Also to note, if you want to cross Canada that can now be done rather easily thanks to the Petro Canada Electric highway that stretches from coast to coast, and will soon be augmented by the Electrify Canada network that is being deployed.