Slow Sales?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, May 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Just received a notice from the MINI dealer where I acquired my ‘22 SE exactly two years ago. They are offering me $2,000 off the price of a new SE if I order this weekend. Ahhhh, no.

I’m quite content with my current SE.

However, I will certainly be keeping a watchful eye on the new purpose built electric MINI, when and from wherever it may finally appear.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wonder what the market value of an undriven MINI Cooper SE will be after MINI stops making them in Oxford and then admits the purpose-built electric MINI won't be coming to the US for years?

Qisl likes this.
  4. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Well, it is Memorial Day weekend... a typical time for car dealer promotions.

The next-gen Countryman SE will be in the US, though, and that may eat up some interest.

5. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

For giggles i went on Vroom. my 23 sig plus with 5200 miles is worth 23,819. So the values are dropping. I guess I am just going to have to drive the bejebus out of it.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Maybe, but the new Countryman is even bigger than the current one. I'm sure it'll be a hit with the type of people who currently like the Countryman, but I don't think that many Hardtop drivers are going to be drawn to the new Countryman, even if it is a BEV.

insightman and JonR like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jim In Tucson

Indeed! When the only small BEV available in the US is a used SE, that eliminates half the choices we have now.

Although, I have heard rumors that the revised Fiat 500 BEV might return to the US market.

9. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

That's what Vroom would pay you, anyway. Meanwhile, they've got three up for sale at $31-31.5k.

Meanwhile, a local dealership recently sold a '22 Signature for $28k. That's about the cheapest I've seen.

10. Jim In Tucson

Was this new or used? I presume used…

11. Jim In Tucson

Today I received an offer from MINI wanting me to enjoy free XM radio for the next couple of weeks. I would not have been surprised by an offer from Sirius, but I’m not sure what the MINI angle would be. Does Sirius pay MINI a percentage?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SJA

SJA Member

I got $3,200 off sticker on my car back in December. Was pushing for more but compared to other EV's that had dealer add on's or markups I was happy to get a discount.

14. CuriousGeorge

Sorry, should have been more specific!

Used, with not a lot of miles, although I don't recall how many. I believe it was the sales manager's vehicle. I was keeping an eye on it, in hopes it might drop below the magic $25k mark, but it sold quite quickly after they dropped the price to that level.

Just ballpark, right now I'd say that $29-30k is the benchmark for lower mileage Signature (base) models, and $33-34k for similar Iconics (top of the line). Once in a while you see one for less, and of course places like Carvana want more, but that's my sense of the market at present.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  15. bfl

bfl Member

16. CuriousGeorge

Yowzers! I would consider that overpriced even at what CarGurus considers market value (although such websites rarely differentiate between the different trims, requiring you to check the pics).

What made you sell it?

17. bfl

bfl Member

Long story. I bought a 22 SE early last year and generally liked it, but regretted the color I chose and regretted getting a base model. I ended up selling it while they were in demand, and bought a Model 3. Then, I placed an order for the 23 SE. I had a gas car and the Tesla at the time. I planned to keep one of the two and the Mini.

Fast forward to fall when the second Mini arrived. At that point I had sold my gas car. As much fun as the Mini was, I found myself driving the Tesla more. There were a couple things that annoyed me on the Mini, the lack of acceleration off the line, lack of steering feel, clunky UI, etc. I know this is probably a controversial opinion, but for me, the Tesla just did everything better, and I actually found it more fun to drive. I live in Florida where it’s hard to find a twisty road, so that’s likely part of it. Also, the Tesla allowed me to go down to one car, whereas I wasn’t comfortable with the Mini as my only car, both in terms of range and size.

By late last year, EV prices were starting to come down as supply chain issues eased, so I decided to cut my losses and sell the Mini. I definitely lost a decent amount, especially when you factor in taxes, dealer fees, etc. However, I still feel that I got lucky, as had I waited a couple months, I think the offers would have been a lot lower.

yoomini and CuriousGeorge like this.