Sirius Subscription Stopped Today

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by ColdCase, Jun 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Before I start calling, did anyone's Sirius radio stop receiving anything other than the preview and Dr Radio channel sometime today or yesterday? Two week old Iconic trim

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

So sirius says my radio ID does not qualify for the 12 month trial... but they would do me a favor and give me 6 months for a $2 processing fee. :)

4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I thought the Iconic trim came with a 1 year subscription. Do you still have your window sticker?

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Must be something administrative, The 12 month plan brochure was in the manual packet, window sticker says 12 month all access. I was just wondering if this was just me, or more wide spread. Surely this isn't a chip shortage thing ;)

GvilleGuy and MichaelC like this.
  6. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

According to the Miniusa build site, 1 year is standard on all trims but I don't see SiriusXM anywhere in my Signature...

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Dealer (Motoring Advisor) said it was coded into the system wrong on delivery, should be back in a day or so.

MichaelC likes this.
  9. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Just a note that Sirius still doesn't think my May build Iconic radio qualifies for any free trial.... I will have to talk to the dealer again. I had been out enjoying the wonderful HK radio via Apple music, so I haven't bothered to check until today.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I hope they straighten it out! With CarPlay I find that I rarely listen to my free trial of Sirius, but, on the rare occasion when my CarPlay refuses to connect, Sirius is my fall back position.

11. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Resolved by a 15 minute dealer visit. Tech says he sometimes sees the factory forget to program the radio and Sirius system. So if you don't have the Sirius XM all access subscription and think you should, check with the dealer, start with your Motoring Advisor.

When I picked up the Mini a few weeks ago, Sirius was running one of those free all access promotions. So we thought everything was working as it should. When the fee promotion ended, all channels were lost except the preview and Doctor Radio. Without the promotion, the code issue would have probably been caught during delivery.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Well not so fast. Radio is again not authorized. I rarely listen Sirius, so it may not be worth the bother.

14. NRG

NRG New Member

Similar experience here. I had gotten numerous emails that my supposedly 12-month free trial was about to expire after only three months. After many frustrating chats and calls to Sirius, I was able to convince them that my SE qualified for the 12-month trial and they've since applied the proper code so that I now have free Sirius for the year, which I should have had all along. I hope you get a similar resolution!

15. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Despite the nice programming and full country coverage, I swore off SXM years ago. Their model of forcing you to sign up for an auto-renewal subscription and then "allowing" you to cancel (soooo painfully), as well as the pricing always jumping up to 3x the initial price, made me hate them. Especially as an owner with several cars, I used to spend many hours per year fighting with them, walking back automagic increases and renewals. It just felt gross, having a company deliberately making an overpriced, hard-to-cancel subscription the model. Now, Spotify is my jam.

16. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Yep. I won’t renew when my free trial expires. I only listen to XM when my iPhone fails to wake up for CarPlay! In 2015 they would make you get on the phone to cancel, with a horrific sales pitch that went on and on. Last year when I had to cancel on another of our vehicles - I was happy to see they had an online cancel option, finally.

I’m all about Spotify, too.

17. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

The spouse listens often to Dr Radio and a couple other specialized Sirius channels which spotify doesn't offer last I checked. Some of the kids like pandora, but they also lack the specialized channels. I hate Sirius pricing, but happy wife... you know how it goes. We can stream Sirus on the iPhone, which will also plays through carplay. Apple music is free to me as one of my daughter's shares her subscription with the family, so I'm well covered with entertainment :).

At this point its just a pet peeve of mine, something offered not being provided. Its a bit more convenient listening to Sirius directly via the radio. I never intended to add the SE's radio to our Sirius subscription, however.

Carplay has been solid for me for months, except for once. I turned the phone's bluetooth off and back on and it reconnected.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The advantage to SiriusXM comes into focus when one finds oneself driving through such remote areas there isn't even cell service, like the desert southwest. So much better than the awful terrestrial radio often found in those same regions.

I find I can manage my SiriusXM account pretty well through the website, and they've been pretty helpful when I transfer service to new cars. Not perfect, but I inly have to deal with them once every few years.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  19. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I this neck of the woods, with a considerable amount of forests, Sirius has these annoying drop outs. It always seems to drop out during a comedic punch line. So cell service is more reliable. I guess we need Both technologies.

20. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

I have "trialed" satellite radio in basically all of my newer cars and up here in the PacNW, it just doesn't work. I think it is because the satellites are relatively "low" on the horizon for us so the line of sight needed is easily blocked--by hills, our many trees and even driving beside a big truck! I will also not renew after trial in my Mini (when I get it) or the Camaro I'm driving now.

FAIL:
    2010 Camaro
    2012 Outback
    2019 RAV4
    2021 Camaro
    2022 Mini (probably)

Rob

21. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

There is also the USB option. I have a small USB thumb drive full of music that lives in my car. It never lets me down whether I'm in the middle of the woods, driving through a tunnel, or in a city amongst tall buildings.

Something like this. Unless you stare straight at it, you wouldn't even know it's there.
    https://www.staples.com/v7-nano-vp2n32g-32gb-flash-memory-usb-2-0/product_IM17FN042?ci_sku=IM17FN042&KPID=IM17FN042&cid=PS:GS:SBD:pLA:Trans&gclid=CjwKCAjwwsmLBhACEiwANq-tXNzeDph1uwV1D-ygGtyV6H1koB7Rt7yu9iNWpetI4r1_Auz8zrNvPhoCGmEQAvD_BwE

F14Scott and MichaelC like this.
  22. As someone who spends all day behind the wheel, I remember getting the hardware for XM Radio and waiting for the day when they opened up activations to the general public. It was marvelous!!!

But, things declined after the merger with Sirius. I lost some of my favorite channels and they crammed in so many new channels the sound quality suffered. I got three months free with my last new car, so I checked in to see how it sounds. Still awful. Like listening in over a bad phone line.

If I want radio, I can stream Pandora or Dash Radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

23. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I am one of those in the forum old enough to remember "remote areas" (like my hometown in the Rocky Mountains) that didn't "even [have] cell service" or, for that matter, satellite radio or even local terrestrial radio with transmitters over 5,000 watts. There is a saying, "Silence is golden."

F14Scott likes this.