Siemens Versicharge AC Gen3

Discussion in 'General' started by AdrianC, Jun 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AdrianC

AdrianC New Member

Does anyone here have experience with new Siemens Versicharge AC? This is not the old SG model, but a new offering with up to 48Amps.

VersiCharge AC Series | Transportation Electrification | Siemens USA

My electrician supplied one to me when he installed the 240V outlet in our garage. It's been nothing but trouble so far. I'm working with Siemens tech support, and being told "this is a new product, be patient".

Googling it, I can't find anyone else who has one or any for sale anywhere in the US. I'm afraid I'm the first...

At least it does charge the car now (2021 Bolt). Not fun to get to the car in a morning to find it not charged, and the charger in fault, which could only be reset by rebooting it, waiting 15 mins, and resetting through the app.

I'm sure they'll make it work reliably eventually.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AdrianC

AdrianC New Member

Now available on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Siemens 8EM13124CF180FA3 VersiCharge AC Series 40A 208/240V Smart Connected EV Charger Indoor/Outdoor with 20 ft. cable NEMA 6-50 Plug, Silver/Black: Home Improvement

My unresolved issues:
    - In order to allow "authorization-less" charging Siemens put my charger into some group called "China Lab Demo". That doesn't instill confidence.
    - Delivered in "restricted mode by default". No explanation why a charger intended for residential use should ever be in a restricted mode.
    - Reported kWh usage is incorrect.
    - Power Level setting is wrong - max of 30A through the app (charger is 48A)
    - Touch button on charger does nothing. Should be able to reset faults and set delay time.
    - "Front panel locked" light is on constantly. Siemens explanation: "The front panel is locked due to the OCPP communication". What?

For most of these issues Siemens have said "this issue should be corrected with the next Over The Air (OTA) software update".

4. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. That's a bunch of issues you shouldn't have to deal with.

AdrianC likes this.
  5. AdrianC

AdrianC New Member

An update: turns out my charger was a very early one. The firmware was so old that it couldn’t take over the air updates, and the issues couldn’t be fixed without returning it. Later chargers come with upgraded firmware that can take over the air updates. Siemens gave me the option of returning the charger for a refund, or getting a new charger with the upgraded firmware. Since I had already bought another charger, a dumb one this time, I opted for the refund.

Siemens treated me well in the end. No complaints there.

I expect that the Siemens Versicharge Gen 3 will be a fine smart-charger for someone buying a new one in the near future.

6. EtronK

EtronK New Member

Wondering if you would still recommend the versicharge? Do you live in a colder climate? I am wondering if the cable freezes.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AdrianC

AdrianC New Member

Well it’s been almost a year now using the dumb charger I bought to replace the Siemens “smart” charger, and it’s been totally issue free. So I’d recommend a simple non-smart charger. The one I have isn’t sold anymore. I’d check out the Grzzl E if I needed a new one.

https://youtu.be/N0vwOJ_bhyE

We parked outside most of the winter, in Ohio, using an extension cord I bought on Amazon. No problem with that cable in the cold.

9. I have the first generation VersiCharge. *In my opinion* the webconnected chargers are useful, if and only if, the user has a Time of Use discount on electricity consumed.

Otherwise, it's just one more thing to break.

10. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I also had the first generation Versicharge. It had occasional issues not charging. Very annoying. Then, when my charging cable connector was damaged, they told me there was no way to replace just the cable. That's when I went with a Juicepro 40.

bwilson4web likes this.