Side Moldings

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Vince08, Feb 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Vince08

Vince08 Member

Has anyone installed additional side moldings mid height of the door to protect the body from dings and dents? Would be nice to hear your views about it.

I found two merchants selling them, one on eBay and another on Amazon.

Both my previous two cars had them (DIY aftermarket) and they did a good job protecting the car door against dents.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I also thought it strange that they didn't have them already installed. Certainly a prone area to getting those dings.

4. Vince08

Vince08 Member

I finally got it installed (DIY) on mine. Here are some images. Peace of mind whenever someone parks his car too close to mine.:)
    Mouldings1A.jpg Mouldings2A.jpg Mouldings3A.jpg Mouldings4A.jpg Mouldings5A.jpg

5. That looks pretty good, do have a link to your vendor?

6. Vince08

Vince08 Member

The ebay listing seems to have been removed. Anyway, this was the description: 4PC PAINTED BODY SIDE MOLDINGS FE-KONA18 FITS 2018 2019 2020 HYUNDAI KONA.

Sold by: automotive-specialty

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Looks REALLY nice... Nice job getting them Level !!!

9. Sure does look nice.

I found a live listing by searching eBay on 4PC PAINTED BODY SIDE MOLDINGS KONA.

The eBay listing says they are custom painted to the vehicle color. I wonder about chipping. Probably more resistant than the door, in any event.

10. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Looks the goods Vince. Nice find.

11. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

How easy was the DIY and can you share the process you used? e.g., LEVEL ? or just eyeball it? Are these Adhesive backed and as you apply, can you "re-adjust" as you apply them? Like if you screw up and don't get them straight. Do you have to CUT them to length? etc... Thanks

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Vince08

Vince08 Member

masking tape.jpg
    The molding came with a single page instruction sheet. The instruction says to use masking tape to first mark an exact height across the sides of the two doors (see photo). Then prep the area with alcohol and apply a liquid bond promoter provided. The molding has a 3M heavy duty adhesive. I have not tried removing it after applying but I think it won't be easy to remove it without detaching/destroying the 3M adhesive tape.

No cutting required.

Personally, I don't find it too difficult. Had done the same on my two previous cars I had owned.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Tim94549 likes this.
  14. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Looks similar to this process:

Tim94549 and Vince08 like this.
  15. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

Anybody just put trim on the door edge? That seems to be the vulnerable spot.

16. I always install door edge guards - but still need to install them on this new Kona. But that protects other people's cars, including your spouse's in the shared garage, but not yours.

It does make opening your door in a parking lot less finicky. But when I mentioned that on the group for my old Volt, I got flamed for both putting something ugly on my car and being willing to admit that my door might touch someone else's car.