shift to neutral / brake pressure

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by brentr, Jul 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have had several incidents where I intended to ship forward / reverse and because I did not have enough pressure on the brake pedal the car only shifted to neutral ... and then when I thought is as going to be in reverse ... it started drifting forward. If you are in a tight area you could drift into something before you knew you were out of control

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Yes, I dislike this 'feature'
    I would think there is enough electronic involvement that the car could decide that you are moving slowly enough that you can safely shift to reverse. I could see if you are moving quickly enough that the voltage spike going from fwd to rev would be a problem, but I hate having to spike the brake pedal everytime I back out of a a parking spot

4. yeh I played with it a bit and it takes about an inch of movement on the brake pedal before it will pass out of neutral into a gear. If you miss that 1 inch and have moved your foot to the accelerator you are out of luck. You have the brain process time to realize that you missed the gear, the car is coasting / creeping out of control and you have to get back on the brake to do anything. What were they thinking ???

5. Well, you are right, definitely not perfect. However, it's an easy fix. Actually push the pedal instead of just "thinking" about pushing it.

Sorry, but you can argue things like that about everything. I had cars in the past where I had to pull the e-brake so hard that the handle was almost in the back seat. Otherwise it would have rolled on an incline. Just saying ...

6. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I have been driving since Carter was president, so I think I am able to judge whether something is annoying.
    It is annoying

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

It may be annoying, but it most likely keeps something from breaking, just like in a normal gas powered vehicle. Unless you like loud transmission CLUNKs.

9. I have been in other cars with similar features where you can't engage the transmission or sometimes even start the car (Prius) unless the brake pedal is depressed. this is not just a Niro EV thing.

Esprit1st likes this.