Service reminders

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Robbert, Sep 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

When I picked up my Kona with ~400 miles on the counter (it was swapped to two dealerships prior to me buying it. Unfortunately I didn't know that, but the car seems fine, so I let it slide), it popped up a service interval reminder in the app (not on the car display). That mysteriously disappeared the next day.
    But today I just crossed the 1000 mile mark, and I immediately got a service popup on the dash, asking me if I wanted to take it in for an appointment. Has anyone gotten these as well? Seems a little odd that it thinks it needs service at 1000 miles. Oddly, the app doesn't seem to think it does right now.

PS.
    Diagnostic report says "all systems normal", so it's not like it detected a malfunction.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I recently crossed the 1000 mile mark and didn't get any service alerts. I believe the first service is at 5000 miles / 6 months for a tire rotation.

ehatch likes this.
  4. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Weird.. It just popped up on my screen to ask if I wanted to make an appointment. You're right that the first service isn't until 5k miles, so I certainly wasn't expecting to see that so soon...

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I got a few service reminders. Recently, it appears that the 10k mile service (I'm just under 9k miles right now) was automatically scheduled with the dealership where I bought the car.. I cancelled it as the dealership is 1100 miles from where I live..

6. In the menus you can set the service interval...maybe someone set it to 1000?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ehatch likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

You’d think so, right? But here’s my setting for service intervals.

IMG_1934.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamloops_KoNa likes this.
  9. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

The owners manual has the service intervals. That’s what I’m using. There’s not much to do for the first one 10k kilometres here in Canada I believe— rotate tires and check fluid levels. I’ve done this all myself and will document for warranty purposes.

10. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

The US service manual says every 5k miles for tire rotation and every 15k miles for "inspection" of fluids. There is no actual "work" needed like in an ICE car, just corrective action if any of the fluid levels are off. Which is why I was so surprised that my car said I had scheduled service at 1000 miles... The app on my phone now finally sent me a notification as well about that. And all that is with the scheduled service interval reminders OFF....
    Wonder if it's a bug in the software. Haven't been able to update the system since my VIN isn't recognized (yet?) on the map download site. I know some people said that certain nags (SiriusXM I believe) disappeared after the 13.5 update. Maybe this one will too. Map version reads as NAM.11.47.44.465.108.2. Not sure how that jives with the "13.5", but I suppose it's older....

11. The dealership sets it up to trick you into early service calls. Mine did it. Hell or high water they are determined to have EVs match their ICE service intervals.

ehatch likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Sneaky! So as customers I guess we don't have access to those settings?

Wildeyed likes this.
  14. No. You can go into a menu via the screen and set them yourself.

15. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

If you're talking about the menu on the car display behind the wheel, that was disabled in my case. The message popped up on the Nav screen only. See the screen cap a little earlier in this thread.
    If there is another menu, I'd love to know about it.. I haven't been able to find it....

16. My car is dead at the moment but I believe you access it on the main screen via the maintenance icon.

17. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Still can’t find it (beyond the service interval setting that’s disabled)... here is what my menus look like:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. I'm at a disadvantage right now as I don't have my car but I'm thinking it's under Bluelink (there are several sub menus in there) or "vehicle". When I get my car back I'll have another look unless somebody else chimes in first. I'm Canadian with an Ultimate trim. Maybe we have different menus?

19. 2nd picture. (push the button with the arrows on the steering wheel) - service interval . Then scroll to "adjust interval" using the down arrow button. A screen will appear on the DASH DISPLAY ( not the center console screen) allowing you to adjust to what ever you desire by pushing the button again (and again). It changes each digit (Km or Miles) one digit at a time same for months.

20. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Yup. It was disabled when the warning popped up on the screen. That's the mystery! I did go in there and I don't think it was ever set up -- when I enabled it, it was set to 0 miles and 0 months.

21. Than I guess you are overdue:)

22. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Haha! I suppose I am. But when it's disabled, I shouldn't get any warnings... I set to to 15k miles now, and then disabled it again. Maybe it is a bug in the system that causes it to alarm anyway, even if it's disabled. We'll see what happens at 2000 miles.....

23. Mine is holding at 12K km and 12 months but it really doesn't bother me whatever it says as I know when to have the tire rotation done and will bring it in for its annual service on Feb 25(every year) as per manual.