Seriously? Charger holster install gone wild!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, May 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ran into this little jewel, another free public EVSE close to my house.
    The electrical installation contractor obviously had little experience with cord management.
    As you can see , the cord management holders are pointing to the stars:
    [​IMG]
    causing the J1772 handles and tethered cords to do the same:
    [​IMG]
    here is a picture of the water gathering in the "cup" - giving the connectors a "good rinse" before plugging in:
    [​IMG]
    So I dug out my 1/2" socket from the back and did this to both management guides:
    [​IMG]
    Now it looks a little more "professional" and indeed more functional:
    [​IMG]
    It took literally a few minutes, car had 1 km range added by the time I was done:)

DaveO, John Lumsden, apu and 6 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yikes. Not only is it demonstrably incorrect (if you were to give it even a moment's thought) but, jeez guys, you're clearly new at this whole EV thing. Read the installation manual!

Fastnf and electriceddy like this.
  4. Not exactly a dry type environment here. All electrical contractors (at least those who install EVSEs) should be required to actually use this equipment on their own vehicles (in pouring rain) to give a better understanding of the circumstances.
    The handle connectors were actually submerged in water, and trying to push that release pin (upside down) to get the handle out was a real contortion challenge for me (bad fingers) as well...not anymore;)

apu and Fastnf like this.
  5. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Well done Eddy, you saved somebody some maintenance costs.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Eddy, did you happen to notice if on the back of the holder it said "this way up"? lol...

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Don't tell Sun Country you did this,,, they're liable to charge you with vandalism when they should be giving you a some kind of charging credit.
    Who ever did the inspection before the units were turned on needs some training as well. Having said that maybe the installers followed the engineers instructions to the letter, I've seen that more than once.

9. I have the same Sun Country charger. The instructions clearly show the proper orientation of the cable holster.

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  10. Nicely done!
    (also, updated title to better reflect what's happening in the thread)

electriceddy likes this.