Selectable level 1 & 2 EVSE?

Discussion in 'General' started by boyelectric, Jan 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. boyelectric

boyelectric New Member

Does anyone offer any EV chargers that can be selectable between Level 1 or Level 2? I'd like an option for slower charging (level 1) when time allows, to preserve battery health.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The EVSEs in my signature both support setting the maximum charge amps.

Bob Wilson

4. A lot of chargers can operate on 120 and 240 volts. The Level 1 that came with my Kona will run on 120 and 240 volts up to 12 amps. Also my GE level 2 charger will operate on both 120 and 240 volts and is adjustable from 16 amps up through 32 amps. Obviously an adapter of some sort will be require to get the correct plug. These can be made or purchased. Mustart make one with multiple plugs as does Max green. Here are links to them

https://smile.amazon.com/MUSTART-TRAVELMASTER-Intelligent-Identification-Auto-Adjusts/dp/B07RLQXMN5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1SGJ0RX3E83DM&keywords=mustart+evse&qid=1579226949&sprefix=EVSE+mustart+%2Caps%2C979&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2QDLIOJQIIOHH&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWlBQRTk5VlJFR1dXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzQwODcxR1I1NVEzVDNEQVhaJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNjQwNzVQQjdES05HTUVCMDYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://smile.amazon.com/MAX-GREEN-Outdoor-Use-Electric-Compatible/dp/B07J4VCYKL/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=evse&qid=1579227044&sr=8-9

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I have never heard that charging at level 1 speeds will increase battery life.. I'm not saying that it's not true but I have never heard of such thing. I do know that Level 3 charging will degrade the battery somewhat faster but I never heard that there is a difference in degradation between Level 1 and Level 2..

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Connecting most L2 EVSEs to 120VAC will simply make them run in "L1 mode", supplying
    120V to the car's charger at the same current configured as with 240. You charge at
    half the rate. But in general it's easier to configure the EVSE to tell the car a lower
    current level at normal 240V than muck with electrical adapters.

But why bother? 7.5 kW into a typical 370V battery is only 20 amps, you're not about
    to kill your pack on that.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.