Seeking advice on charging network for an institution in US

Discussion in 'General' started by Gsbrryprk8, Feb 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I am a volunteer on a committee that works with the board of a large institution in my community. This is in Maryland, US. At a recent meeting I advocated for installation of EV chargers at a large parking site (with retail stores) that currently has none. The benefits are clear, such as attracting customers, benefit to employees, social responsibility, etc. There was interest but many questions about cost arrangements and effect on traffic. My sense was that the idea won’t go far unless costs were minimal and installation easy.

I want to follow up with more information but don’t know where to go next. I’d like to recommend a charging network that offers business-friendly arrangements, maybe even takes care of the installation and maintenance.

Any recommendations? Have any of you had success persuading businesses or developers to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

In Huntsville, the Whole Foods uses a "ChargePoint" pair. The charging is still free and with the owner, be configured to match expected usage. The advantage is the RFID card tracks who used the charger, more correctly the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE).

Without some sort of user tracking, the equipment is at risk of abuse:
    J1772_110.jpg
    J1772_200.jpg
    The right EVSE, a General Electric EVSE, had the broken J1772 handle. But GE had sold their business to ChargePoint and who would not repair it because of "abuse." A month or so later, the left unit failed and it took 9 months before Amazon got the ChargePoint units installed.

There are other providers including Blink and EVgo. However, Blink all but disappeared in Tennessee and I've only seen the EVgo, fast DC chargers. We have two, broken Blink EVSE in Huntsville.

Let me suggest using "Plugshare" to survey local EVSEs. A free web site, the menu includes the ability to select the type of chargers to show:
    • J1772 - typically L2 charger that is universal for all cars
    • Tesla destination charger - specific to Tesla, they also have a dual-head unit
    • CCS-1 - fast DC charger that excludes Tesla
    • Supercharger - fast DC charger, Tesla only
    In 2016, I worked with a local business to install my spare, L2, EVSE in the alley:
    propst_010.jpg
    This included a WiFi hotspot to manage the unit and limiting the charge to 8 kWh per session and business hours, 6 AM to 11 PM. The reason for the alley is to minimize the risk of gas cars and pickups parking in that spot.

In a perfect world, chargers (aka., EVSE) need to be located where cars tend not to park. This may require installation of electrical service. Check with the facilities people at the property.

Then choose between J1772 and Tesla distribution, L2 chargers, at least two or a fast DC. My understanding is Chargepoint recently has developed a fast DC charger with a Tesla plug too.

BTW, the IRS has a provision for a $10k credit when a business installs a public charger.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Where I would start is with MarylandEV.org (which takes you to https://marylandev.org/) and they have a section on charging infrastructure and support for it. MarylandEV which works with non-profit Electric Vehicle Association of the Greater Washington DC area (EVADC), a tax-exempt charitable organization.

The Maryland Energy Administration has rebates for this (https://energy.maryland.gov/transportation/Pages/incentives_evserebate.aspx ) and they have program manager listed you can contact.

In addition Maryland Department of Transportation has a http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/newMDOT/Planning/Electric_Vehicle/About_the_Council.html
    Maryland's Zero Emission Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Council (ZEEVIC) members, and interactive maps.

I would start with Maryland EV and go from there. You are going to have to a little bit of reserach on this

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

Thank you all. Excellent advice, and interestedinev’s links are exactly where I will begin.

Fantastic forum, btw. It’s great to have access to the knowledge and experience of an active and willing ev community.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.