Screens dimming and brightening

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by MSimpsonNJ, Apr 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

This is more of a nit but wondering if I have a setting I need to fiddle with. U.S. 2022 SEL. I have noticed when driving in what appears to be steady lighting conditions (full sunshine or full clouds) that the screens seem to start out bright, then start to imperceptibly dim, and then come back to bright, and this cycle repeats. Although I don't know if it is relevant, I am typically using CarPlay with Google Maps when I notice it. I don't know (yet) if it happens when CarPlay is not on. Has anyone else experienced this and any ideas on a remedy (or explanation)?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

I also have a 2022 SEL and I see something similar. For me what I'm seeing is not an imperceptible dim but almost a flicker. The infotainment screen will be full bright and then step down in intensity for a second and then jump back to full brightness. I use the built-in gps more than anything else. Don't know that I've seen it with Sirius playing as I usually only have the Maps playting.

4. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I should have mentioned that I have the RWD.

5. Even

Even New Member

Drove my new SE home from the dealer three days ago and noticed the screens suddenly turning about half as bright as before. This lasted about 5 seconds until it instantly changed back to normal brightness. Thought it might have something to do with the angle of the sun low on the horizon shining through the driver side window; however, the same thing happened the next time I drove and the sun had already set. I used the screen brightness control to restore the level to “normal” but had to go to 18 on the scale of 20. I had been running it at 10. Called the sales person about it and they said they had never heard of that happening but to keep them informed. I wonder if this is a software issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. TRVELEC

TRVELEC New Member

I was thinking it happens after I drive under an overpass and it is a response to the change in light level. But just a guess.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Yes I thought it could be the same thing, but it happens in a highway drive with stable light conditions and no overpasses. Just a glitch I guess

9. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

I thought the same thing but now I'm not so sure. I took a 60 mile round trip yesterday and only noticed that flicker once - when I passed under an overpass. It may be there were others and I didn't notice them but that's the only one I'm positive about.

10. Even

Even New Member

The screens consistently dim when going under an overpass in my car. It usually takes about 5 to ten seconds to return to normal afterwards. There is a small sensor on the top of the dash that reads the ambient light. A problem I have experienced several times is around dusk when it starts to get dark out the screens dim and stay that way. Even after arriving at my destination and I turn the car off and back on the screens remain very dim. I can brighten them using the dash control but why should I need to? As I mentioned here earlier I took the car back to the dealer and they couldn’t reproduce the problem and so dismissed my complaint. I feel like writing a letter to Hyundai. By the way if you call their help line you actually get someone who “ creates a ticket” for your issue but in fact they don’t communicate with Hyundai. They confessed that they are just there to arrange for reimbursement in case you need to rent a car while yours is in the shop. Has anyone else had the same screen dimming issues at dusk?

11. 10sqmiles

10sqmiles New Member

My impression is that it first appeared when the new software was installed and I selected the option to automatically go to black screen after dark. From that time forward,as the nighttime switch time comes near, I see the dimming-brightening occur.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. StofferMD

StofferMD New Member

Sounds like the screens may be dimming when your headlights come on. Are your headlights set to auto? They would come on when going under an overpass. Just wondering.

14. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    Not an owner but just a guess and hope that you can figure this out. The screen may have had a calibration file bumped in the upgrade. I would set the brightness in my closed garage to simulate night and put it in to direct sunlight and set the screen brightness again. Each time be in parked to avoid any lighting changes. If it can be set from the user interface you'll know when you return back to other light setting location and the return to your desired level. If this works but still flickers at in between light levels try setting it a medium (10) level in a parking deck, large overpass or before dusk. I'd hate to think each of the 20 settings have to be set if it indeed works but if works and twenty are needed I'd be looking for a dimmable light for my garage to set them all.

15. ironic ioniq

ironic ioniq New Member

I have the same problem with a dimming screen and flickering. My problem starts to occur around twilight. The screen gets dimmer and dimmer and then starts to flicker. Then at some point it turns to the darker screen.