Saw an VW ID4 Test Vehicle

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by FloridaSun, Dec 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

For those who don't know, I live in Central Florida.. I went for my dinner at Greenwise Market (which is just like Whole Foods Market) to have dinner and charge my Kona. When I pulled in, there were 2 cars using the 2 chargers. One was a Leaf and the other one was VW.. I wasn't sure if someone was ICE'ing or if it was an e-Golf but it was too big... Got out of the car and looked at it.. It had Michigan plates and there was a guy inside the car with a laptop and diagnostic cable. Talked to him and turns out that he is a test driver for Volkswagen testing the car, driving it across the country and checking all systems. I asked if I can take a picture but he asked me not to take one.. Pretty nice looking car.. Looks like similar size to a Model Y, maybe a little shorter.. Very nice looking car.. Below pic is not mine but car looked exactly like that.. even the same color.
    2021-vw-id4-12.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    DaleL, Tony S, SThomas219 and 5 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Nice one, good catch! Did you happen to get a look at the charge rate on the DC machine or was it a 50 kW unit?

4. FloridaSun

It was at a Level 2 charger 6.4 kw or so.. Car had a pretty big screen... 11 - 12 inches I'd guess.. Interior looked very nice..
    Interestingly, his laptop was not connected to the OBD2 port but the cables went under the passenger side dash.. May be a direct connection to the sensors?? Not sure.. Chargeport was on the passenger side rear... kind of unusual for an EV..

Tony S and Angelo like this.
  5. FloridaSun

Asked him about what range he was getting and he said that it was around 200 miles on average at 90% charge. He said that the test car was set up to only charge to 90%..

Tony S and ericy like this.
  6. FloridaSun

I'm right beside the same ID4 again at a 50kw charger in Zephyrhills, FL.. Snatched a pic but edited out the plate number.. Don't want to get the guy in trouble..
    EDIT: It wasn't the same driver or car.. Guy told me that there are several of those test vehicles in the area..
    20201223_074959.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    DaleL and Tony S like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

another pic.. 20201223_081100.jpg

9. FloridaSun

20201223_094736.jpg 20201223_083249.jpg

Angelo likes this.
  10. FloridaSun

Saw another one of the test vehicles at a charger and had a chat with the driver who told me that there were 6 of those test vehicles at their facility in Tampa. I asked to sit inside the back and he invited me to get in and there wasn't really a lot of legroom. However, the driver was pretty tall.. something like 6'6" or so, so the driver's seat was likely all the way to the back. One thing that I noticed is that the door handles would light up when the car is locked or unlocked.. Pretty cool feature.. Just like the other 2 test vehicles that I saw, this one was black or dark gray.. (it was night, so it was hard to tell).