Saw a MINI Cooper SE at...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Oct 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It was so much fun! My wife was driving our MINI Cooper SE and we were first in line at the stoplight at Stadium Boulevard and Jackson Road. I noticed that the first car in line facing us was a MINI Cooper. Then I noticed the color was British Racing Green. Then I noticed the Energetic Yellow emblem on the Vigorous Grey aerodynamic grille.

"Wife! It's another electric MINI! Flash your headlights! (I was all about exclamations.) She did it and the BRG MINI flashed back twice! This is a new, higher level of kinship than simply waving at every MINI Cooper that you see. We were shooting electronic beams of light between our electric MINI Cooper SEs!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ScottIJ

ScottIJ New Member

That was me! I was wondering if that might be you. So fun to see you on the road!

4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Relevant educational content:

minimaine likes this.
  5. insightman

What a treat! How often do two anonymous people on an internet forum get to "meet" and interact with bursts of photons?

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I finally saw another SE in the wild! I believe it was Moonwalk Grey, with electric power spoke wheels, so it must be Iconic trim. I'm going to guess it's one of the 2020 models.

Laker2016, wessy, insightman and 2 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Oh how I love this! Thanks for sharing, your exuberance shines through brightly!

insightman likes this.
  9. insightman

The number of 2020 SEs produced is small compared to the 2021s because the factory shut down the same month the company began delivering SEs. When the factory re-opened they switched to making 2021 models. So the odds are stronger that you saw a 2021 SE. Not that there's any real difference--it's a big thrill to spot an SE from any year.

10. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Haha, cool that you two randos spotted each other! I've still yet to see an SE in the wild, but I try to keep an eye out.

11. Puppethead

It's possible, but because of the color I think odds were high it was a 2020. My dealer is big enough that I had my pick of the 2020 models, but I passed because I wanted Chili Red. I know my dealer sold two 2020 models, although maybe not all they had to offer were Iconic trim.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I finally saw another SE Saturday. I was stopping by Whole Foods and turned the corner for more parking spaces. I saw a BRG 2022 parked charging. I didn't need to charge but I did go right up next to it and charged for this pic 20210626_174732.jpg

pictsidhe, wessy, Martha and 13 others like this.
  14. Puppethead

Sweet, a 2021 BRG next to a 2022 BRG. Rule #1!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Tony Peng, Laker2016, J.Dubs and 2 others like this.
  15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I was very surprised to see another SE in the same parking garage this morning. The local MINI dealer does not believe in electric MINI’s so I expected I might go a long time w/o seeing another. The one I saw was white over BRG and recently purchased in Scottsdale. I must say it looks terrific. I do think that color combo deserves white wheels, however!

I’ve got about 1,200 miles on my black over white-silver purchased last month in Tempe. My office is about 3 miles from home, so I will likely never catch up to the rest of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. hanyoung99

hanyoung99 New Member

What a small world! You must work at NW hospital :)
    That is my wife's car that we just picked up last night thanks to all of the advice received on this forum!
    And what do you know - looking at white wheels now.

Lainey, MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. insightman

On most cars, brake pad dust makes it difficult to keep white wheels clean, but when you can drive all day without using the brakes...

Carsten Haase likes this.
  18. Puppethead

Except there's a lot of brake dust created from the actions of the traction control.

19. Jim In Tucson

Yes, indeed. Just hit the 20 year mark at NW last month. <singing>”It’s a small world…” <>

You will love the MINI. It puts a smile on my face every time I look at it. And, two smiles when I’m driving it.

Were you able to drive home from North Scottsdale w/o charging?

20. Jim In Tucson

I thought I read somewhere that the SE does not use the brakes as part of the traction management. But, instead uses the drive motor controller to modulate torque delivery. This makes the SE traction control exceptionally smooth w/o the herky jerky feel of some cars. I’ll try to find the reference.

21. Jim In Tucson

From an article on Topgear.com

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/8-things-we-learned-driving-new-electric-mini-cooper-s-e

“Mini, which has a special traction control system called ‘Active Slip Regulation’ that effectively kills all wheelspin. We tried it on one of those low-grip wet surfaces, and can report it seems to work very well indeed. Mini says it’s quicker reacting because the system is actually integrated into the ECU, basically just a few lines of code, so doesn’t have its own dedicated control unit. Oh, and you can’t turn it off. The Mini people couldn’t understand why you’d want to, either, which is only mildly concerning.”

wessy and Lainey like this.
  22. Puppethead

The dust is coming from somewhere. And it's not clear to me that the active slip regulation is the same as the dynamic traction control, which is standard in ICE models as well.

23. insightman

I remember reading how proud MINI was to have incorporated the traction control system into the motor control system so it can act sooner to ensure traction than less-integrated systems, so I'm surprised to learn it activates the brakes, too. I'd be less surprised to learn the stability control system uses the brakes.

Alf_W, MichaelC and polyphonic like this.