RWD vs AWD

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by flyrsphl27, Apr 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. flyrsphl27

flyrsphl27 New Member

Hi all,

We are completely new to the EV thing and are thinking or replacing our current CRV with an ID4. Our question is whether or not it is worth spending the extra money for the AWD? We live in PA so we have snow during the winter but we don't live in it for months at a time (especially on the roads). Other than money, it looks like we would be giving up almost 10% of range from the RWD vs the AWD. My gut says we should stick with the RWD but we don't want to regret it down the road. Any opinions would be great.
    Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SueMC

SueMC New Member

I love my RWD ID4. It handles SO much better than my prior FWD car. That said, if AWD had been available last year we would have opted for that instead of RWD. It's much safer in any kind of bad weather including rain.

4. anoop1

anoop1 New Member

I live in CA and opted to order AWD because of what @SueMC says, not to mention that almost all reviews say the power of the AWD feels much better. If you get snow and want to go RWD, you might need snow tires.

One more thing you give up with the AWD is a few inches of turning radius.

5. 50% more power in AWD is well worth it if you like to hit eh go pedal at times. It's not tesla fast but it sure is fun.

wiltjer and electriceddy like this.
  6. Joules

Joules New Member

Hey Flyrsphl27, I lived in Maryland when I purchased my 1st edition and drove it regularly through two winters - I currently have 20,000 miles on it. I've driven it on snow covered roads and about any winter condition Maryland could throw at it. No RWD issues for me. The car is heavy and perhaps that and the low center of gravity gives it some advantage. Clearly pulling with all wheels makes a difference, but I am looking for simple with the EV, less is more for me. If I wanted complicated, I would be on a different forum ;)

I've taken the ID.4 on several 300+ mile trips and have also had zero issues with Electrify America, or any other charging stations.

This is my 2nd EV. My first was the Chevy Bolt. GREAT 1st EV. But too small and the seats were, from day 1, uncomfortable for broad shoulders. I put 50,000 miles on the Bolt and ultimately sold it after buying the ID.4.
    After a while you get over the whole EV thing and it just becomes a car. I charge it in my garage with a JuiceNet box and schedule the charge for off peak savings. Every day I wake up with a full tank and off I go. Simple.

GetOffYourGas and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. WA7S

WA7S New Member

I have owned an all-wheel-drive for two months, but then got to use a 2WD version for a couple days.
    In our situation the all wheel drive is much better. It easily navigates our snowy driveway and hill. The 2 WD version could not get up our hill and I wasn’t able to reach our home charging station and I had to call a tow truck (which took 24 hours to arrive thru VW roadside assistance).

AWD is also heavier, I think that’s why the ride feels smoother/nicer. It has stronger regen, presumably because two motors are in play. It sounds quieter, not sure why, maybe the AWD Pro version has more sound insulation?

For us AWD is necessary. (I also got Michelin X-ice snow tires, and carry chains and a shovel.) Previously we have relied on Subarus and an F250 to get around.
    It does concern me that the 2WD ID4 wimps out as soon as it senses wheel slip, slows to a crawl, then stops and parks itself. No way can you gun or rock to get thru or up, like a normal old car. My old 2wd stuck shift Civic was a champ compared to the 2wd ID4.

Side note: the red SOS button didn’t work on the loaner, since VW’s default cell carrier has no coverage here. On my own ID4 I got VW to tie it to Verizon instead which does have coverage here, so now I can actually use the VW app to connect with my car when at home. Otherwise much of the area around here would have no connection.